Two speed or variable speed pump suggestions

pushin glass

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
East Central MS
A few years ago I posted a thread questioning whether my pool pump was appropriately sized or not (Do I have too much pump for my pool?). The general consensus was that when it came time to replace it, I should get a 1 hp two speed or variable speed pump. Well, that day has come. My question is, is there any specific pump or brand that you can recommend that will help me narrow my search? Thanks.

Do you have automation that requires a certain brand pump? Are you adding automation?

If you just want a basic 24 hour programmable pump then looks no further.. I bought this one just because.. I think I will use it for my solar to move massive amount of water for cheap :)

None of us know how long these will last or how good they are, we just know it is not an $1800 dollar VS pump that does exactly the same thing...

You will connect the VS pump directly to power or connect it the same exact way and leave it on 24/7..

3hp is not to big, you can move more water at a lower RPM and save even more money.. You RPM should be between 800 to 1500 rpm for almost everything... :)

If I may recommend, please get the pump one or all of the following surge protectors as VS pump HATE lighting or power spikes and will die a horrible death if nothing is on them...

On each plug in the house

On the Air conditioner

On your pump panel

On your main house panel

Pump is installed and working, but there is a small leak at the threaded male coupling on the output side. Threads were wrapped in plumbers tape but still leak. I'm thinking about putting an O-ring around it and tightening it down until it compresses it really well and probably doing the same on the input side just to be safe. Any other thoughts? How is that junction typically sealed? It looks like the pool company before me caulked all around those joints with silicone.

I've seen people on here mention CMP high temp unions, but aren't they just like typical unions except with O-rings? Are they easy to find or must be purchased online?

Attachments

• IMG-1801.JPG
    IMG-1801.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I've seen people on here mention CMP high temp unions, but aren't they just like typical unions except with O-rings? Are they easy to find or must be purchased online?

Push,

No they are not.. They have an o-ring around the threaded end that seals the threaded end instead of relying on teflon tape or plumber goop.. In my opinion, anyone that installs a new pump without using pump unions, is not doing themselves any favors..

They also have another O-ring in between the two half's of the union itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A main difference is that true male pipe fittings are tapered and "expand" into the female fitting (which is also tapered to match). If you run a pipe fitting completely into another fitting so that there are no threads showing you will damage both pieces, and this can include the inlet and outlet of a pump. The CMP fittings (and others like it) are not tapered like an ordinary pipe fitting and are designed to be tightened until the "O" ring is compressed without damaging the pump. I still use a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on the threads. It allows the fitting to be more easily tightened and prevents the leaks that I have seen occur even with the "O" ring. Sometimes the mating surface is not completely flat and the T tape is just an added protection.

An old plumber told me, when I was in a construction trade, that a properly tightened pipe fitting will never have less than three nor more than five threads showing. That has worked for me for over 30 years.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Just as a comment, my VS pump is now fully installed and plumbed in with no leaks and I love it. It is so much better than my old pump. I wish I had a VS pump years ago. My pool is cleaner, my chlorine dosing more flexible, and it is quiet. No regrets at all. I would highly recommend anyone considering switching to a variable speed pump to do so. It is awesome.

That's a great price for a 3HP VS pump. It's manufactured by Asia Connection LLC and rebranded by several different companies including Circupool and Black & Decker. I've seen them go for up to $1,500 under other brand names. Calimar offers the best price. Keep us posted on any reliability issues that may arise.
AC Energy Star.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you control the speed? Will this pump work with a Jandy Aqualink RS control system?
The pump has an on-board controller that is used for programming schedules and speeds. There is no data port connection so it can't be controlled externally.

Reactions: gonzo
The pump has an on-board controller that is used for programming schedules and speeds. There is no data port connection so it can't be controlled externally.
If it's truly the same as a circupool, then discount salt pools sells a relay kit to allow for some external control. I'd be curious to see if the relay works for both branded pumps

Last edited:
Reactions: gonzo
One thing I'll add, the graphic above states that it does not have freeze protection. The manual does not mention anything about freeze protection. But when the temperatures drop, a snowflake icon illuminates on the control panel and the pump turns itself on moving water at 1000 rpm. FYI.

If it's truly the same as a circupool, then discount salt pools sells a relay kit to allow for some external control. I'd be curious to see if the relay works for both branded pumps

I may buy this and give it a try. I bought the pump, and it works well, but my salt chlorinator stopped working. I have to add chlorine manually now.

I was just thinking, if you download the instructions to the interface unit, you'll see some images of the pump connections which may give you a clue as to whether it will work with the Calimar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.