Turning old pump on for the first time

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
OK -- MultiPortValve. A DE filter normally has a valve on it that you can select Filter, Backwash, Waste, Recirculate. That or it has a handle that is called Push Pull. Take a picture of the filter and post it.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
OK -- not sure what that valve is.

We are sure that is a DE filter? Take a picture of the label.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV

See the Multiport Valve shown in this parts list? That is what you should have. I am not sure how a DE filter can work like you have it. Unless the previous owner simply broke it down every time the pressure rose. That is possible.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
So, without a MPV, you must break down and clean the filter each time the pressure rises by 25% over clean. You cannot backwash. You cannot recirculate.

As long as you think you are getting good circulation, things are OK. But sometime in the next couple months, it should be taken apart, fully cleaned, put together, and reloaded with DE. At that time you will know the clean pressure.

1poolman1

In The Industry
Jul 14, 2014
Sacramento
As I have mentioned, it allows me to put the 'OFF' part of the valve only in 4, 6 or 8 o'clock. It can't go up to 11. Am I doing something wrong?
Best guess is that the equipment is below the pool. If not, that plumbing in front of the pump should be lowered to be in line with the pump suction post.