Trying to understand this crazy skimmer

May 3, 2018
Savannah, GA
The skimmer port, or inlet hole (the rectangular hole in the side of my pool where water enters the skimmer) is normally rectangular on all I can see or find. It appears that the previous homeowner stuck a piece of 4" round pvc into that rectangular inlet hole on mine, giving a very strange configuration. Water enters through the round pipe but also around it, as it does not plug the rectangular port It slides in and out and my basket gets stuck up (gonna put a rock in it). When its in the "stuck" up position, it blocks the skimmer completely. Any body aware of this round pipe in the skimmer hole thing? Why would they do that? Enhance the skimmer productIon?

Attachments

• SKIMMER.png
    SKIMMER.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 48
To me it looks like it was significantly patched above the opening. I would just suspect that it was sinking perhaps and the 4” pipe keeps it stable. Looks kinda like a MacGyver fix.
I looked at it from the inside, it's definitely sleeved, i.e., it's a double walled and one slides in and out of the other, as though you could "adjust" the length and maybe change the performance of the skimmer? I think I'll just remove it and see.

It kind of resolved the decision for me. We decided to vacuum using the skimmer inlet without the round adapter plate, the pvc pipe decided to reposition itself inside the skimmer, with the hose still going through it. So we just took it out for a while. The skimmer appears to be working fine.

It kind of resolved the decision for me. We decided to vacuum using the skimmer inlet without the round adapter plate, the pvc pipe decided to reposition itself inside the skimmer, with the hose still going through it. So we just took it out for a while. The skimmer appears to be working fine.
Update: pipe is gone, skimmer is working fine, There was a weir that the pipe was defeating. I think that was it's purpose. To defeat the weir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.