Trying to SLAM - bleach not responding as thought

ok, 2.5lbs per 10,000 gallons will bring it up to 30 - which sounds inline with Marty's #. so - 6lbs to get a bit over 30?

Instructions on container are mix half of what is needed in warm water - remove skimmer basket and pour slowly into skimmer - repeat with remaining - 2-4 hours later. Don't clean filter for 72 hours. Or is the sock method best?

ok, 2.5lbs per 10,000 gallons will bring it up to 30 - which sounds inline with Marty's #. so - 6lbs to get a bit over 30?

Instructions on container are mix half of what is needed in warm water - remove skimmer basket and pour slowly into skimmer - repeat with remaining - 2-4 hours later. Don't clean filter for 72 hours. Or is the sock method best?
You decide

Reactions: jamie973
You can add the six pounds. That puts your CYA at 40 ppm.. Use FC of 16 ppm for SLAM. Start now. You will be testing your FC and adding bleach every few hours to start and at least twice a day after a day or two.

any idea how long SLAMs normally take? I notice the liner is a bit dingy except for one clear patch at the bottom of the deepend - hopefully this patch will expand. :)

Here's some of the staining by the intake - I can run a little off - but only the ascorbic or citric acid has fixed this in the past - let's see how things are after the SLAM.
IMG_3803.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
any idea how long SLAMs normally take? I notice the liner is a bit dingy except for one clear patch at the bottom of the deepend - hopefully this patch will expand. :)

Here's some of the staining by the intake - I can run a little off - but only the ascorbic or citric acid has fixed this in the past - let's see how things are after the SLAM.
View attachment 107939
I have done several SLAMs , I would say it varies from 2-3 days to a week (obviously depending on how bad). A few things I have learned:
1. Don't go too crazy with the CYA, if it goes too high , you need loads more bleach to reach and maintain SLAM levels.
2. I found brushing 3 times per say during SLAM helps, In a lot of cases I could actually see the algae dusting into the water and leaving clean streaks on the walls.
3. Again, regarding CYA, dont go too high as it makes the overnight test WAY easier (and more accurate ) to be testing lower FC ( I have done 4 SLAMS with CYA at 80 , it is a nightmare! as the overnight test has such a small margin of error and that error can be found just in testing at FC30 , so makes the test redundant)
4. You will see a rapid decrease in the drop of FC as it clears the pool. For example , day 1-2 you might get a drop of 8-12 for 4 hours, then 6-8 second 4, then day two just a drop of 4-6 etc (example numbers). But you will notice a big slowdown at some point.
5. Clean crevices, steps, skimmer housing etc with bleach.
6. clean brush with bleach each time after brushing pool.

I think I'm getting towards the end of my slam - I think the chlorine levels are holding - still seeing the same dingy stains. I thought it was clearing up in more areas - but not as much as I would hope. Any thoughts on how to handle those if they remain after the slam process?

If the Vitamin C does that to the stain, you've got some kinda metal(s) in the pool. The liner stains show that but we don't know which metal.....do you? Do you have iron in your water in the house?? Stains in the toilet bowls or sinks? Or perhaps you have used copper algaecides in the past?

If you can, take a pool water sample to a pool store and ask them to test for metals (its the only test we ask them to do).

Let us know the results.

Maddie :flower:

I do notice a little rusting with parts of my ladder - have an affect? Most of the staining usually begins by the intake jet - which is close to the ladder - should I see if the pump propeller is rusting? Could rust NOT be detected by a metal test?

Attachments

• IMG_3828.jpg
    IMG_3828.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3829.jpg
    IMG_3829.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3830.jpg
    IMG_3830.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 10
I'm going through the SLAM process right now. I think I'm near the end of it.

I had this issue before - last month I did a citric acid treatment and it cleared the stain perfectly. Then I had major clouding and green water. Since then I've been doing a SLAM - water looks good - but there is a dinginess around the edges - there's one clear spot in the bottom of the deepend that looks ok. And one spot where I put a vitamin C tablet. I just have no idea where it's coming from - no metal was found in my water - I do see some rust on the ladders.
How did this come back so fast when the metal test was clear? I thought I saw a little clearing from the SLAM but not much.

I noticed some rustiness by the ladder bolts - should I see if there's rust by my pump propeller - seems to be worse by the intake jet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.