Trying to SLAM - bleach not responding as thought

jamie973

Jun 14, 2019
New Jersey
Hi guys - I'm new here and am trying your SLAM process.

According to the chart - 20,000 gallon - cya at 30 - PH at 7.2 - shock FC should be at 10.

According to the pool calculator 363 fluid ounces with a 6% bleach should raise FC by 8.8 - it hardly seemed to budge beyond 1-2? I hardly read any FC at the start. I do have another more advanced test kit on the way - maybe my readings are off? Maybe I tested too soon? Only a couple hours after adding the bleach.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
If the pool is olive green and or super cloudy or your CYA degraded into ammonia, you will lose FC almost as fast as you can pour the bleach in.

If you waited a couple hours, you'd have lost most of it even without ammonia. Hence the reason we suggest retesting and replenishing frequently, especially at the beginning.

I don't see anything wrong here except that you should be taking FC to 12 for 30 CYA during a SLAM Process

Reactions: Exlonghorn

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
More likely that the initial dose of FC got used up quickly by contaminants. Raise FC back to shock level and test again. The FC burn rate should slow as you go.

jamie973

Jun 14, 2019
New Jersey
I'm just using R-0001 and R-0002 to test the FC.
I have a new test kit coming on Wednesday Taylor K-2006.
There may be rain a few times this week - how will this affect SLAM conditions?

justinc

Gold Supporter
Apr 3, 2019
Texas
I'm just using R-0001 and R-0002 to test the FC.
I have a new test kit coming on Wednesday Taylor K-2006.
There may be rain a few times this week - how will this affect SLAM conditions?
Rain is no problem (however I suppose lightening presents a safety risk). Just as long as you are not afraid to go outside and get wet.

• Haha
Reactions: laweatherred

jamie973

Jun 14, 2019
New Jersey
ok, I went through 8 - 121 fluid ounce bottles @ 6% - Chlorine is starting to go higher - probably at a solid 5 now - guess I need to get more chlorine? I'm trying to achieve shock FC levels
Ph is at 7.0

jamie973

Jun 14, 2019
New Jersey
re-reading the pool tests from Leslie's last one had 0 for CYA on 6/15. I don't have a kit for that at the moment - should have it tomorrow. it was 30 on 5/21.
I'll be doing these test myself moving forward :).