Trying to loosen Jet from gunite wall

beautifulpool

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
North TX
Was told there is a special tool for removing , unscrewing old eyeball Jets, and was onboard until saw $40.00 price Has anybody been successful with plyers .... my first go at it- couldn’t budge 14 year old jet. Although I did succeed in breaking off some of the jet plastic - -leaving myself even less plastic to grip - now hoping back in pool with 2 plyers hoping it might give way with more even pressure - lefty loosey???

There are many different types of return eyeballs. Post pics of what yours looks like.

What $40 tool did you think would work?

I would think you can find a stiff piece of plastic or metal about that thickness around the house. Looks like you just need the right thickness edge to fit into a slot.

Reactions: beautifulpool

The eye-ball face of the original jet probably fell off a few years ago. Didn’t Realize it at the time, but vaguely remember wondering what an odd piece of plastic was that I found in my suction cleaner a few years ago....apparently the detached eye ball causes the jet to let too much water thru, hogging flow from the Surrounding jets-causing .... dead spots ... only cost a couple bucks to get a couple new jets -just having hard time getting base of old jet out of plaster ... its made to thread in and out -lefty loose -rightie tighty ....but doesn’t want to come out

I've taken just a hacksaw blade or similar and cut very carefully through fitting.. sometimes I'll do it where the notch is already there. But be careful and work slowly. If you do it in a couple of places you can then take a small screwdriver or similar and lightly tap it open

I've taken just a hacksaw blade or similar and cut very carefully through fitting.. sometimes I'll do it where the notch is already there. But be careful and work slowly. If you do it in a couple of places you can then take a small screwdriver or similar and lightly tap it open
i appreciate the solutions...not sure how id do with a hacksaw blade but ill give it a try

I posted "Eyeball seat removal tool hack that works great" on Feb 8, 2018. It seems this may be the same problem. I'm pasting the old posting below attaching the original photo.

I had an eyeball seat that needed to be backed-out but it was badly stuck, I think it's a Hayward. I first tried the Hayward SP1419T seat removal tool, it was useless. Just not strong and rigid enough even when a wrench is clamped onto it. I briefly checked this site and the internet and found little to help me except for some professional tools that are metal with a Tee handle that run big money. I measured-up the plastic Hayward tool and looked around my shop for something I could jury-rig and eureka, there it was.

Solution:
The Stanley 55-515 Wonder Bar (flat pry bar 1-3/4 x 12-3/4) has a short end that's a little wider than what the tool needs to be and the thickness is exactly what's needed. About 1/16 inch needed to be ground-off from the flair on both sides of the short end so the width was 1.490 inches, the same as the Hayward tool. The thickness is already tapered and measures the same 0.180 inch as the Hayward tool about an inch back. It engages the seat slots perfectly and actually fits better than the factory tool because the tool is inserted until the taper fills the slots. The short end of the bar can now be slid into the slots until it bottoms and the 12-3/4 inch long handle gives plenty of leverage to remove the most stubborn seats. The best part is that it cost me nothing and the pry bar can still be used as it was. These bars can be found for about $10 but this is a very common bar and many people probably already have one. Some similar bars could probably also be used but they might not fit as well.

With any luck this will help to salvage some fittings and save time and money for some pool owners.

Attachments

• 0208181604.jpg
    0208181604.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I posted "Eyeball seat removal tool hack that works great" on Feb 8, 2018. It seems this may be the same problem. I'm pasting the old posting below attaching the original photo.

I had an eyeball seat that needed to be backed-out but it was badly stuck, I think it's a Hayward. I first tried the Hayward SP1419T seat removal tool, it was useless. Just not strong and rigid enough even when a wrench is clamped onto it. I briefly checked this site and the internet and found little to help me except for some professional tools that are metal with a Tee handle that run big money. I measured-up the plastic Hayward tool and looked around my shop for something I could jury-rig and eureka, there it was.

Solution:
The Stanley 55-515 Wonder Bar (flat pry bar 1-3/4 x 12-3/4) has a short end that's a little wider than what the tool needs to be and the thickness is exactly what's needed. About 1/16 inch needed to be ground-off from the flair on both sides of the short end so the width was 1.490 inches, the same as the Hayward tool. The thickness is already tapered and measures the same 0.180 inch as the Hayward tool about an inch back. It engages the seat slots perfectly and actually fits better than the factory tool because the tool is inserted until the taper fills the slots. The short end of the bar can now be slid into the slots until it bottoms and the 12-3/4 inch long handle gives plenty of leverage to remove the most stubborn seats. The best part is that it cost me nothing and the pry bar can still be used as it was. These bars can be found for about $10 but this is a very common bar and many people probably already have one. Some similar bars could probably also be used but they might not fit as well.

With any luck this will help to salvage some fittings and save time and money for some pool owners.
perfect, thank-you so much! I especially appreciate seeing a pict of the tool

If you read my earlier post, I first tried the Hayward SP1419T. It is flimsy plastic and totally inadequate if the seat is indeed "stuck". The rugged aftermarket tools with the T handle would probably work fine for the OP but they were trying not to spend $40 or so for a tool to be maybe used once.

Reactions: beautifulpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.