Trying to identify Hayward Pool Heater to replace bypass

russell2415

Apr 15, 2020
Austin, TX
Purchased a house February 2019 that has a pool. Pool guy that I had come out to inspect the equipment said the heater control panel was broken. I finally get around to fixing that and low and behold it's not broken! But once the heater fires up, tons of noise and significant vibration in downstream pipes (I'm assuming steam from what I read).

So I think I need to replace the bypass valve, but I can't find a model number on this heater anywhere. I think I see a place on the outside of the unit (left side if you look at the picture) where there used to be a model sticker, but it is long since gone. Based on records, I think this pool was installed in 2005.

Any help? Do I even need a model number or is that bypass valve general enough that what I find on Amazon will fit?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 18
If I understand your question correctly...

There is no way for the plumbing to bypass the heater. The filter output goes directly into the heater, a pipe comes back out of the heater (this is all the bypass valve header? apologies if incorrect terminology) and to my plumbing return path.

Now I assume that water is bypassing the heat exchanger internally because I've had no trouble with pool operation when the heater is not running which is how I've used the setup exclusively for the past year.

I was also lucky in that all my pipes came labeled and the labels have not steered me wrong yet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.