Trying to get things right

KULRN

May 16, 2018
FORT WORTH
I've had my pool for 4 years now. Was too intimidated by the TF test kit in the past, but after using Poolrx for the last year, I noticed bright blue staining to my white plaster. Took sample to Leslie's 7/2/22, Had .3ppm copper. Added CuLator to skimmer. Now with new replaceement TF100 agents, I'm trying to get things right. Removed all the pucks from my feeder as my CYA read 111 that day and started with liquid 12% chlorine. Here are my test results early this morning. pool temp 90
FC 1
PH 8.2 (or higher?)
TA160
CH 475
CYA 70
TC 1.5
Added 96oz 20% Muriac acid (math said 83oz 29%) 96oz 12% liquid pool bleach
At 11am, I did a retest:
FC 0
PH 7.2
TA 130
CH 450
CYA 60-70 (been reading tips to get a better reading)
could not get a TC as my water never got pink... Is it possible to have chlorine get worse after adding all that? I just threw in the last 17oz of bleach I had at this point, getting more today. Tips on where to go from here? Keep adding chlorine on the daily? Best copper stain remover? FYI my pool water has been clear and blue this whole time...

For reference sake it looks like a half gallon (64 oz) of 12% chlorine should increase your FC by 5 ppm. But you're going to need much more. The water looks clear (for now), but I suspect you have a very heavy organic load tearing up that chlorine. If you consider your CYA as 70, the SLAM FC level is 28 per the FC/CYA Levels. I would add 3 gallons as soon as you can and mix really well to get it everywhere. Then re-test in about an hour to see what the FC did and continue to maintain the FC of 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Don't worry about anything else but the FC right now.

For reference sake it looks like a half gallon (64 oz) of 12% chlorine should increase your FC by 5 ppm. But you're going to need much more. The water looks clear (for now), but I suspect you have a very heavy organic load tearing up that chlorine. If you consider your CYA as 70, the SLAM FC level is 28 per the FC/CYA Levels. I would add 3 gallons as soon as you can and mix really well to get it everywhere. Then re-test in about an hour to see what the FC did and continue to maintain the FC of 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Don't worry about anything else but the FC right now.
Thank you. I'm picking up 6 gallons today, and I will add 3 gallons and update. I was going on regular fc/cya chart and not the slam...

Reactions: Texas Splash
I'm getting ready to test after adding 3 gallons, but question on overnight chlorine test, I can get a sample after dark tonight and test, and can collect a sample before sun up, but can I test that sample after work? Or does it need to be right away?

I'm getting ready to test after adding 3 gallons, but question on overnight chlorine test, I can get a sample after dark tonight and test, and can collect a sample before sun up, but can I test that sample after work? Or does it need to be right away?
FC 14
CC .5
TC 14.5
.5 CC is good right? Do I still need the overnight test too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.