Trying to get the CYA under control.

Yes, I just shut the valve to the skimmer and just circulate it through the main drains.

Great. Once you are able to fill the remaining amount circulate the pool for a good 24 hours before doing a final CYA test.

Another thing I have noticed that when I do some of the tests after they sit fir a couple minutes the color changes (example the FC, CC tests) I'll get it clear then write down the number read the next step pick up the tube and it's slightly pink again taking 1 or 2 drops more to turn it clear again. My assumption is that I need to let the tests sit for a little bit to let everything settle before doing the math.

Do NOT let the test sit and then add the drops again. The test is complete once it turns clear the first time. Do the CC test immediately after the FC test. Just remember the number of drops for the FC test, add 5 drops of R-0003 and do the CC test.

Do NOT let the test sit and then add the drops again.

Okay thanks, I have been, but now I know.

What is the opinion of using borate? I just watched a YouTube video that says it stabilizes the Ph, and will reduce the amount of chlorine usage, as well as the acid, it will make the pool more sparkly, and soften the water. It's mostly the reduction of chemical usage that intrigues me, but sparklier and softer water is always appealing too. sparkle

Borates - Why and How

Borates will not reduce the amount of acid you need. Just how often you add it.

It will not reduce chlorine requirements.

It will soften the water. Salt does the same thing.

Borates - Why and How

This one took a while for me to grasp back when I was a recent Pool School grad. So if you normally need to add 1 gallon of MA per week, if you bring your borate level to 50 PPM, you may now have to add 2 gallons to get the same pH drop, but it will "last" for 2 weeks. So you would still use the same MA over time. My numbers/quantities were hypothetical just to point out the concept.

Keep in mind that as with CYA, borates will be removed from your pool over time due to splashout/carryout of water (though they don't evaporate). So you will need to be checking and topping them off as needed. So aside from reducing the frequency of MA additions, borates justs costs money keeping it at the proper levels.

Borates - Why and How

It will not reduce chlorine requirements.

I'm sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like it would decrease the amount needed, but the frequency. From what the guy on the video said, it stabilizes the Ph, so you don't have to adjust your Ph as often, and like CYA it will also help stabilize the chlorine so it's not burned through as fast on hot days.

I have learned in my research that there are a lot of people out there that have a lot of different ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that as with CYA, borates will be removed from your pool over time due to splashout/carryout of water.

So does this mean Borate is used instead of CYA, or as far as the properties of it are similar to CYA?

So does this mean Borate is used instead of CYA, or as far as the properties of it are similar to CYA?

No not using instead, just the similar property of needing to be replenished from time to time.

So I opened up the filter to clean it. I knew it was going to be pretty bad, because the guy I'm filling in for said the people that installed the filter last year said he didn't need to clean the filter EVER! I'm pretty sure they meant till the beginning of this swim season LOL. I never expected it to be this bad though:

IMG_1723.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1728.jpgIMG_1729.jpgIMG_1732.jpg

The last one in the bottom of a large trash can that I scooped out of from the bottom of the filter canister. There must have been 50 lbs of DE just caked in there. I'm amazed water even circulated through the filter. Ummmm Yeah you DO need to clean the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry the pictures are so big I thought it would make them thumbnails that could be clicked on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't have the same style DE filter (mine has tubes, not grids) but I have NEVER backwashed my system... I don't even have a backwash option without re-piping. As it's easy for me to open the filter head without loosing water or media, I just pop it open and look inside.

When I see it looking like below, I clean the tubes.

When I see clean tubes, I just change the media based on when my pressures rise too quickly after I "bump" the media. If after I bump the media, the pressures either don't return the "low" normal range or they climb to "high" (about +5 psi over low).

IMG_5295.jpg

Wow! That is really caked up isn't it? Good decision to tear it down and change it. Be sure to take the drain plug out from the bottom and flush all the filthy water out the bottom as well.

Yeah, I'm guessing he was just putting the DE in all last year, and never even back flushed it. OMG there is a drain plug? I love this sight, I was going to take my shop vac to it, but wasn't really looking forward to that. I'll have to figure out where that is for sure. Never even crossed my mind there might be a drain plug LOL. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.