Trying to get chlorine pool blue

5. pH - The highest that I can measure is 8.0, but the pH is higher than that. How does one accurately measure high pH?
You don't. Just like CYA, add enough MA to reduce pH .2, pump/circulate 30 minutes, retest. When you get to 7.8, then you can add MA to accurately get to your target.
I do similar but slightly different. If reading 8 and I’m not using my pH meter which can measure it directly, then I assume it’s 8, use PoolMath to calculate the addition of acid needed to drop the pH from 8 to my target, and add that. Then I mix, retest, and add more if needed.

Reactions: PoolStored
Hi all,
During a SLAM, does anyone measure anything other than the FC? I figured that I wouldn't bother with CC until the cloudiness resolves. I know that pH is not supposed to be accurate above an FC of 10, but should one measure any other values such as CYA, TA, or CH during a SLAM?
Does it depend on the duration of the SLAM?
I appreciate all of the assistance; you have helped me get on the right track to a blue pool.

Hi all,
During a SLAM, does anyone measure anything other than the FC? I figured that I wouldn't bother with CC until the cloudiness resolves. I know that pH is not supposed to be accurate above an FC of 10, but should one measure any other values such as CYA, TA, or CH during a SLAM?
Does it depend on the duration of the SLAM?
I appreciate all of the assistance; you have helped me get on the right track to a blue pool.
Only free chlorine. The colorimetric pH test tends to be bleached out by the high chlorine levels, so that's why you adjust the pH to the lower end of the typical range at the start. It makes sure the chlorine is present in it's most effective form and allows for pH drift upwards during the SLAM process. There isn't usually a need to test for anything else but I would expect that the high levels of free chlorine could have some impact on the dyes used in the other tests too. If you have access to a pH meter then you can still monitor pH that way.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.