Trying to figure which pentaire pump is best for my setup-- need help

Gokctx

Jul 16, 2016
Escondido
Hi all,

Would like to upgrade from a Hayward 750 pool pump (single speed, 3/4 HP, 120 volt, RPM 3450, 13 amp) to a variable speed. Have narrowed it down to Pentaire pumps but am very confused about which model is most compatible with my setup.

I plan to run a 40 amp 220 volt line (powering pool pump + eventually a sauna), have a 21k gallon in ground pool, and live in San Diego. 1.5" plumbing goes out to the pool. Would like to integrate pool pump with Pentaire's Easytouch or Intellitouch automation and salt water chlorine generator.

Option1: Pentair SuperFlo 342001

Pros:
120 or 220 volt (not big issue since running 220 volt line)
Cheap

Cons:
Only 4 speed settings-- is this enough?
Slightly less efficient than intellifo (80% vs 90%)
Less HP but not sure my system can handle the extra HP anyway

Questions:
What do I lose with this pump vs. intellifo? Is it fully compatible with easytouch or intellitouch automation?

Option 2: Pentair IntelliFlo (011028)

Pros:
90% efficient
More speed settings than superflo
Fully compatible with easy touch or intelitouch

Cons:
220 volts only
3 HP may be way too much power for my setup?

Questions:
1) Given my 1.5" plumbing could this 3 HP pump damage my pipes and filter since it is so powerful?

Option 3: Pentair IntelliFlo i1 (011059) or Pentair IntelliFlo i2 (011060)
Seems to be good compromise. Has the many speed options and efficiency of the intelliflo but without the extra possibly unnecessary HP. How do I figure if one HP i1 or two HP i2 is better suited for my system? Since it is similar in price to the intelliflo am I better off with intellifo and just not run the higher speed settings (if they are too powerful for my setup)? I don't live in a jurisdiction that requires the i1 and i2 like LA and Arizona.

Thanks for any help!

G,

The fact that you want to integrate your pump into the EasyTouch or IntelliTouch, means that you MUST use an IntelliFlo pump. The Pentair SuperFlo has no digital control capability.

You do not want the IntelliFlo i1 or i2, both of which are for designed specific governmental regulations... They cost more and do less...

You also do not want an IntelliFlo that has the SVRS option. They cost more and are known for going into a fault mode all on their own...

I would recommend the IntelliFlo 011018 or later pump... The only thing wrong with the 011018 is that the control panel is not movable. This is just not an issue if you have the EasyTouch.. Other than during installation, you will never use the pump's control panel..

The newer IntelliFlo's have a rotatable control panel, and the latest one can either run as a Variable Speed pump or a Variable Flow pump, they just cost more..

The biggest fallacy I see is people thinking that a 3 HP pump is 'too' big for their pool or that it can't run on 1.5" plumbing.. Just not correct...

A Variable speed pump really should be call Variable Horsepower pump... You only use the amount of horsepower you need.. Bigger pumps, at low speeds, are actually slightly more economical to run.

Kind of like your car.. just because your car has 200 HP, does not mean you can't drive it through a school zone!!! :p

I have two IntelliFlo pumps at a couple of pools that only have 1.5" plumbing.. They both have been running for over four years and I have yet to have any issues with them.

The whole purpose of using a VS pump is so that you can run them at very low RPMs to reduce your electrical costs. I run mine at 1200 RPM, most of the time, and 24/7/365.. My electrical costs are less than $20 bucks a month. You mention a SWCG.. well that is exactly why I love my IntelliFlo.. With a SWCG you have to run the pump longer to generate the chlorine you need. Having the IntelliFlo means that you don't have to worry about the cost to do it..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the excellent explanation. Pentaire really should hire u to explain all the different models. The pool store people claimed the intelliflo was too big.

So with the intelliflo I could run the pump across the full spectrum of speeds (if I wanted) without busting my plumbing and filter? I would likely just use minimum settings needed to do the filtering and occasional vacuum but just want to make sure accidentally running at highest setting won't cause expensive repairs.

The maximum pressure that pump can generate is around 45 PSI and pool equipment is generally rated for working pressure of 50 PSI or higher. The pipes are rated for working pressures much higher. If there are failing parts (poor joints, o-rings wearing out, stuff like that) they will fail at much lower pressures anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.