Trying to figure out EasyTouch automation with a new pool build

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Can someone tell me how this all works together and if I need an EasyTouch 4 or 8 to make it work? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. Automation of pools is new to me.

This is what I want to automate from the get-go on our new build.

- SuperMax pump. I hear this takes up 4 relays. The pool builder insists that the cost difference to the intelliflo pump is not worth it.
- 1 pool light
- Gas heater

I am planning on getting the ScreenLogic connector for this so I can use the app. So I guess the question is if the light and the heater use a relay since the Supermax would take all 4.
Also, I am considering adding an IntelliChem in the future. Does this interface with the EasyTouch, the SccrenLogic device, or both? Or is it just a separate unit

If you are going to get the Easytouch, get the Intelliflo pump. I cannot see the reasoning on that.

Intellichem - you do realize they do not work well in outdoor pools? You can get a Stenner tank for chlorine and acid if you like.

You do not want the IntelliChem, but that is for another whole thread...

Not getting the IntelliFlo makes getting the EasyTouch, close to worthless.. The two units are designed to go together.. The EasyTouch cannot control any other pump unless it is a single speed or a 2-speed. If your pool builder is selling you a single speed pump he is well past his "sell by date"... It is flat out stupid to install a single speed pump on a new pool.

The EasyTouch comes in two basic models.. The ET4, which has 4 high voltage relays and the ET8, which has 8 relays. One of the relays is always used as the pump filter relay leaving you with either 3 or 7 relays to control things that run off of 120 or 220 volts.. Things like pool lights, spa blowers, landscape lighting, etc...

The IntelliFlo pump is controlled by a serial cable and does not need a relay.. Heaters are controlled by a low voltage (Fireman's Switch) circuit and do not need one of the high voltage relays.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info. I did not know the IntelliChem was not good for outdoor pools. Thanks for letting me know. Would you just recommend getting a pump attached to a relay and running it a set amount of time for liquid chlorine?
I should have mentioned the pump they included was a Supermax Variable speed. Or SuperFlo.
I talked to them and they decided to credit me for that and I will just buy the IntelliFlo myself. What’s a good price? Is there any certain model variation I should look for?

Intelliflo 011018. If they will install so you get the warranty they can be had on line for ~$900.

And yes, you can set up a Stenner pump and tank for liquid chlorine to dose the amount you want each day. It could be tied to your ET. Lots of threads on the forum to review.

Family doesn’t really like the saltwater feel from pools they have been in before. I am impartial to it. I also had really good results with our last pool just doing liquid chlorine. The only annoying part was adding it every day. That is why I’m looking into a pump.

We are doing an inground steel wall vinyl 16x32. That’s the biggest we could fit in our back yard. There is a drainage easement running through half our yard. :(. Right now the accessories in no particular order are a Glo-Brite light, IntelliFlo pump, 24” sand filter, EasyTouch automation with ScreenLogic2, future 266k gas heater(depending on how much we end up needing it), 2 main drains, skimmer, 2 returns, LoopLoc winter cover.

Family doesn’t really like the saltwater feel from pools they have been in before.

I now understand the problem, I'm just surprised, as almost everyone reports that saltwater pools have better feeling water. Just to confirm, we are not talking ocean swimming or pools with ocean water in them.. we are talking about a standard saltwater pool where the salt level is about the same as what is in your tears... ??

Good luck with your build.. I am sure the EasyTouch will work just fine for you, but have you seen the new Pentair IntelliCenter??

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James.
He is saying that their price on the IntelliFlo would be a $1000 upcharge from the SuperFlo VS. they are letting me get a credit for the pump they were going to install and will install the IntelliFlo that I buy. They are doing that because they botched the contract.

A $250 upcharge might be reasonable. $1,000 is ridiculous.

If you walked into their retail store, how much would they sell you the Intelliflo pump and the SuperFlo pump for?

The upcharge should not be more than the price difference.

A $250 upcharge might be reasonable. $1,000 is ridiculous.

If you walked into their retail store, how much would they sell you the Intelliflo pump and the SuperFlo pump for?
Exactly what I said to them. He was telling me that the o line sellers are taking a loss. Lol. Uhhh. Seems like a pretty bad business practice if you are selling stuff at a loss. Anyway, we are good now with the deal we worked out. Giving me $999 credit for the SuperFlo.

Just make sure the IntelliFlo that they are going to install does NOT have the SVRS option... Safety Vacuum Release System... You absolutly do not want that option.. They often say they are required or are better... Neither is true.

Jim R.

agree with the others on the intelliflo 011018. works like a charm with the easytouch.

$895 on amazon and a few others in the same price range.

an easytouch 4 has more than enough relays with the intelliflo.

as far as the salt pool and SWG, my family loves it. I keep the salt on the lower end of what is needed for chlorine generation and there is never a chlorine smell and the water feel is less drying.

good luck with your PB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.