Trying to choose between 2 different motor replacements....opinions?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I need to replace my pool pump motor and I've narrowed it down to 2 different ones below:

1) Magnetek A.O. Smith 1.5 HP, 56Y Frame, Up-Rate Motor (b2854, 717721624) - INYOPools.com - This is the exact one I have now. It has a listed 1.5hp with a 1.1 SF for a total of 1.65hp. This one has an amp draw of 8/16 amp. It costs $160.

or

2) A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor EE - Full Rate (B2841, B2841V1) - INYOPools.com - This one is listed as "energy efficient" and has a listed 1hp with a 1.65 SF for a total of 1.65hp. This one has an amp draw of 7.8 - 7.4/14 amp. It costs $200, so it's about $40 more than the 1st one I listed.

My question is...would the lesser amount of amp draw on the 2nd one be enough to see a difference on my electrical bill over the life of the motor? I don't mind spending more if it pays for itself by saving me money on my bill.

You are looking at the SF number the wrong way. SF stands for "service factor." SF is a measure of how durable you can expect the pump to be not how much HP the pump is rated to put out. If you run the 1hp motor with a service factor of 1.65 on your existing 1.5hp wet end that motor will burn out very quickly the motors are not meant to run past their rated HP.

If you only plan on changing the motor and are going to leave the 1.5 hp wet end on the pump you need to get a 1.5hp rated motor.
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017039438.htm This is the full rate energy efficient 1.5hp motor.

You should find out exactly which wisperflo pump wet end you have so you get the right motor.

If you want to lower your energy consumption you need to either get a 2-speed motor or consider a VS pump.

The low speed on a two speed motor is a function of how the motor is built. You will not harm a 2 speed motor by spinning it at low speed. Also when you spin the impeller slower you need drastically less hp to spin it. That's where electricity savings come from. The wattage consumed by the motor is directly rated to its hp.

"VARIABLE TORQUE LOADS:
Many types of loads require reduced torque when driven at speeds less than the base speed of the load. Conversely, such loads may require increased torque when driven at speeds greater than the base speed of the load. These are classified as variable torque loads. Many variable torque loads decrease with the square of the speed. This is characteristic of centrifugal pumps, and certain types of fans and blowers. Typically, as the speed decreases, the torque decreases with the square of the speed and the horsepower decreases with the cube of the speed." http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA105387/

Inyo has a very good breakdown of what motor you should use for most of the common pump bodies out there. Do you know which wisperflo model you have? Also if your last motor worked for a decent amount of time by a new motor with the same hp/sf ratings. Didn't you just replace this motor.

Inyo has a very good breakdown of what motor you should use for most of the common pump bodies out there. Do you know which wisperflo model you have? Also if your last motor worked for a decent amount of time by a new motor with the same hp/sf ratings. Didn't you just replace this motor.
I just rebuilt the pump (seal plate, shaft seal, and gaskets) and it's working great now. Just trying to get some advice for future purposes when I eventually have to change out the entire pump and/or motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.