Trying to bring back a neglected pool

Jan 7, 2019
Odessa, tx
I've been doing a bunch of reading and started my SLAM process on 4/26/19. Checking and keeping my FC @ 28ppm morning and night since. The pool is noticeably less green but still cloudy and not clear. This morning's FC check is the first time I didn't have drastic drop. Remained around 27-28ppm which should mean everything might finally be dead. The bottom I can make out is free of debris and my M400 is coming up relatively empty now, other than some dirt.

FC: 28
CC: 1
PH: 7.4
CYA: 70

There was a time I could see the drain right after we bought the house. No telling what they added to it to get it to that point though. Looking for some suggestions. I read somewhere about adding DE to my sand filter could help.

Attachments

• 20190502_071548.jpg
    20190502_071548.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20190502_071609.jpg
    20190502_071609.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 60
I read somewhere about adding DE to my sand filter could help.
Your water doesn't appear clear enough that I would attempt adding any DE yet. How about the filter itself though? Do you know when (or if) it was ever deep cleaned? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you are confident about the CYA, then your FC level should be good. Are there any tricky areas of hiding places algae could still be in to this point?

Your water doesn't appear clear enough that I would attempt adding any DE yet. How about the filter itself though? Do you know when (or if) it was ever deep cleaned? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you are confident about the CYA, then your FC level should be good. Are there any tricky areas of hiding places algae could still be in to this point?
The filter was replaced right before we moved in, the old one failed during our closing process. I have not deep cleaned it but have regularly backwashed it as needed. The last time i did my CYA test it landed somewhere between 60-70 so I rounded up. All I have been using is liquid chlorine from HD, so if anything the CYA may have dropped some.

I spot brush the walls and am not seeing the difference like the before so I believe them to be pretty clean. I brush the steps and climb out steps when I am adding the chlorine. No where else really. Haven't really brushed the deep end bottom but wouldn't be able to see anyways.I figure my cleaner should be getting most everything now.

I feel being a week in I should be seeing it really start to clear up. Starting to make me wonder.

Last edited:
I added enough chlorine that should have brought my FC to 28, previously 25ppm, before going in for the night yesterday. This morning my FC was 27-28 still. I think I might be on the up and up with the algae. Reading some other threads, the brown substance on my steps might actually be dead algae and not dirt like I thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC: 20, 3 more gallons of 10% added. M400 fairly empty again.
Not sure what the "M400" is?
I believe a lot of the discoloration is staining from the neglect.
Depending on what's been in the water, maintaining adequate FC levels may help left some stains (not metal stains)

Can you add your pool equipment & test kits to your signature, please? Thanks! (size/type/brand of pump, filter, test kit(s), etc)

I believe a lot of the discoloration is staining from the neglect.
Absolutely. That last pic tells a big story. Looks like there is still some SLAM work to be done. maintaining, and lots of consistant scrubbing. Not sure how well the M400 can do with the scrubbing required, so some elbow grease may also be required, but togther it will work. Of course continue to inspect any/all areas that may hide algae, and watch the FC/CYA numbers to ensure they are balanced at the proper SLAM level. FC/CYA Levels Hang in there.

Absolutely. That last pic tells a big story. Looks like there is still some SLAM work to be done. maintaining, and lots of consistant scrubbing. Not sure how well the M400 can do with the scrubbing required, so some elbow grease may also be required, but togther it will work. Of course continue to inspect any/all areas that may hide algae, and watch the FC/CYA numbers to ensure they are balanced at the proper SLAM level. FC/CYA Levels Hang in there.
The brush I currently have is plastic and stainless bristles. I don't know if it'd be worth getting an all stainless brush. I see them sold as algae brushes.

When we decided we were buying this house I went on the ol Amazon and started buying some basics not really knowing what I needed. Got an expensive pole, net, that brush head and the Taylor kit.

Any recommendations? I have a sweepease brand right now.

Pool equipment like that is all over the place. Lots of personal preference with poles, brushes, etc. I currently have a Gorilla brand pole & brush that I got at a good price from the local ....... wait for it ......... pool store! Ahhhhhhh! :) I also have a Whale brush. So a bit of it is your own preference based on cost, availability, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.