Troubleshooting Jandy AquaPure 1400


New member
Jul 5, 2010

Need a little help troubleshooting some problems with a Jandy AquaPure 1400 system. I am getting error codes 120 and 121. I'm also noticing that it is only very intermittently generating chlorine and this past week, it may have stopped working. The entire system is probably about 4 years old (and uses the 2-port model cell). Upon noticing the error codes, I removed the cell and cleaned it (per owners manual with acid wash). When pouring acid/water in the cell, there were no bubbles. I rinsed it out with tap water and reattached it. I was still getting the error codes so I removed the panel cover and started testing with my voltage meter (with the cell "on"). This is what I found:

36.9 VDC: Voltage off the back board going to the DC cable (should be btwn 22-28 VDC)
36.9 VDC: Voltage at the contact point of DC cable and cell
63 mVDC: test points 4 & 5 (should be 120 mVDC)
79.6 VAC: test points 1 & 8 (should be 75 VAC)
70.7 VAC: test points 2 & 7 (should be 65 VAC)
21.1 VAC: test points 3 & 6 (correct @ 21 VAC)
21 VAC: test points A & C on front board (correct)

I also tested the voltage on the electric coming in @ 240 volts.

So I'm a little confused here. Error code 120/121 says that something is wrong with the cell and/or DC cable. However, I'm obviously getting some off numbers on the voltages. The fact that the voltages are off on the back board test points, suggests to me that the transformer has gone bad.

Any help here would be appreciated.



TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
I am not completely sure, but that all sounds like a failing cell. The cell is about the right age to be wearing out. The control unit would be raising the voltage as the cell aged to try and maintain the current despite the failing cell. Even though I am not completely familiar with the reactions of the various test points to an aging cell, your results do appear to be consistent with that.


New member
Jul 5, 2010
I called Jandy tech support this morning. I waited on hold for 1 hr. 25 minutes and spoke with someone there. He didn't really know what to make of the test points not checking out. He basically said exactly what you said, I should probably replace the cell and cable. He said he would have someone more knowledgeable about the product call me back.

I just now got a phone call back from them. This guy sounded more knowledgeable. He also confirmed that it sounds like it's just the cell and cable that need to be replaced. He said that there's some +/- room on the test points I checked... about 5-10%, so he said not to be concerned with that.

So I guess I'll start with replacing the cell, cable & sensor and go from there. I'm not happy that I have to replumb to fit the new 3 port cell. Hopefully they don't change the design again in the next 4 years when I'll probably have to replace it again.