Troubleshoot Pool Leak

cancuntom

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2009
Cancun, Mexico
We also have a can not find water leak. We've tried the red dye trick at every place the pool walls are penetrated, and no leakage was evident. Our construction is a concrete bottom pad with two drains back to the pump room, concrete cinder block side walls, then stucco covering the blocks and then ceramic 1" sq. tiles covering the entire bottom, stairs and sides. We have let the pool leak down during December when we don't use the pool. It stopped leaking half way up the 3 pool lights. One of the lights had a failed bulb and was also full of water. We replaced the bulb and installed an new seal between the housing and the lens. We also sealed every opening with an underwater epoxy sealant. The pool continues to leak. We lose about 1-2 inches per 24 hours. Our water bills have increased 10 fold because we have to keep replenishing the water to keep it above the skimmer openings. (about 1-2") I've become so frustrated that I've installed a couple of pvc valves and piping to tap into our garden sprinkler system with gets it's water from an underground cenote on our property. So that water is free other than paying for the electricity the sump pump uses. So now when my level drops below the skimmer openings I add make up water from the cenote. So this didn't fix the problem but at least we can enjoy using the pool.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. (the pool is a chlorine based type.)

We have let the pool leak down during December when we don't use the pool. It stopped leaking half way up the 3 pool lights.
I think that's key right there. The suspect area must be where that waterline stopped, and my guess is that it's still that light. Unless there's a chance the leak could be somewhere else around the entire perimeter against the new (lowered) waterline, I would take a very close look behind that light in the niche.

I agree. The rear of the niche has conduit that actually holds water and needs to be watertight. With a block pool it's easy to get a leak in the penetration for the niche id look at the conduit and the seal around niche very well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.