Trouble with Pool Light

kg1712

Jun 7, 2017
austin texas
I have 12 volt LED programmable lights and they one in the deep end has been intermittent lately. No water in housing and I would not suspect transformer in that the other light is fine. These are the types of LED's that change colors on the fly and have various preset programs. The pool is about 8 years old and we have never had any trouble with the lights. It was nothing to do with the GFCI, the one fixture just comes on whenever it feels like it. It's not dim when it does it will act fine in it's sequences and then cut out. Anyone have a problem like this before?

kg,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all poorly lit pool owners... :snorkle:

Since it is just the one bulb and the others are working, then I would suspect the bulb itself first, and then the socket that the bulb is screwed into second.

Could also be a loose wire nut in the junction box.

Not sure if you know or not, but the whole bulb and fixture assembly will come out with enough cable to sit up on the deck. A pretty easy fix.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks so much I did not realize the the fixture came out whole I thought I would have to drain it down a bit! lol!

Welcome to TFP :)

Yeah. I learned the same lesson about the lights as a new pool owner a couple of years back. I think I found the video that helped me through the process done by inyopools. Inyopools.com might be a good place to look for a replacement bulb if needed and I "think" they offer a discount when you donate here.

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

I had a non-LED light that started working intermittently a few years back. Mine was a bad wire nut connection at the light junction box. Look for an electrical box on a pipe sticking up out of the ground - either near your pool light or the equipment pad. On mine, I found that the cover was cracked, letting water in. Which of course corroded the wire nut, wiring, and eventually burnt itself out.

You may get lucky and find something similar. Or, you could find that the LED electronics are simply going bad. I would troubleshoot the electrical wiring first. If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the light. Then you need to look at whether you have a replaceable bulb, or a sealed LED fixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.