Trouble with multi port valve?

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
Had my pool opened the other day. I have a Hayward sand filter. The guy had the multi port on recirculate before changing it to filter. He called me over and showed me how, when on recirculate, the pressure gauge was jumping back and forth between 24 and 28 psi. When he then switched it to filter the gauge just went to 29 psi and was not jumping anymore. He said that there should be very little or no pressure on the gauge when in recirculate which makes sense to me since it is not going through the sand. Anyway, I've always had higher than normal pressure according to several pool techs who have told me that on various occasions. The lowest it usually is is about 28 and will go up to about 38 psi and then that is when I backwash which sends it back down to 28 psi.

The tech told me that there was something wrong with the multi port and that it could be fixed fairly inexpensively. My question then is should there be pressure on the gauge when in recirculate position and could something wrong with the multi port switch be causing the high pressure I have? It is my understanding that normal pressure on the gauge of a sand filter should be around 10 psi for a low after back washing. Thanks.

Ned- does your gauge go to zero when the pump is off? Could the gauge itself be faulty? How old is it?

Has anyone looked at your spider gasket under the multiport valve for shredding? I wonder if that is what he was talking about fixing??

Yippee :flower:

If your pump is oversized for your return plumbing the pressure will be high. If the pressure has always done this and filter works I would guess this is the case, especially with the high pressure in recirc. For example, if your pump is trying to go at 100 Gpm but your plumbing only allows 50 gpm the excess capacity of the pump makes your pressure higher than another pool

Ned- does your gauge go to zero when the pump is off? Could the gauge itself be faulty? How old is it?

Has anyone looked at your spider gasket under the multiport valve for shredding? I wonder if that is what he was talking about fixing??

Yippee :flower:

Yes, the gauge goes to zero when off. No one has looked at the spider gasket and that is what he was referring to. It just seems like it is unusual for the gauge to be jumping back and forth when in recirculate and then steady when in filter mode. Also, seems like when filter mode is turned on, pressure should increase much more than just going up 1 or 2 psi.

I know this pump is oversized but I have 2" pipe. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S244T Sand Filter

IMG_0417_zpssd5cpumv.jpg

If you're concerned about the gauge so much, just pick up a new one. They screw on/off. You may need a bit of plumbers tape.

Get a glycerin filled one (oil filled) as they hold up better.

Also get one that only dials up to 30psi as the increments are easier to read.

If you are a bit handy (not much) you can replace your spider gasket easily. Videos on Youtube.

Yip :flower:

Sounds like two issues.....the flickering guage and the high pressure in your system.

Replacing the spider gasket may very well fix your flickering problem. That's a pretty darn big pump for that smaller filter and I suspect that may be the high pressure issue.

Yes, many pool pumps and filters have a clean psi of 10-14 ppm.....starting in the 20's is too high. Have you opened the filter to inspect your sand? How about deep cleaning?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.