Trouble Free Pool Professors - Another New Student Seeking Advice

Chyllo

Jun 15, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone! Nice to meet you. I've taken over pool maintenance from the other members of the family, since they are no longer able to. Which is fine with me. They were happy to do it in the past so I didn't give it too much thought, other than what they told me to do when it needed to be done. I haven't lived at home where the pool is for many many years anyway, so it really wasn't in my purview.

I'm a huge STEM fan, enthusiast, citizen scientist, engineer, professional and technical hobbyist. I love the gritty details and the even smaller details behind those. So I'm hoping this will be in my wheelhouse more or less.

Ok on with the situation.

I was sent to the Local Pool Store to pick up whatever was needed to clear up the moderate green algae problem we had coming out of this last spring. They sold me some shock and told me the chlorine tablets I'd been using were garbage and that I should be using theirs, and oh my! look at my phosphates!! I need to buy $150 in chemicals to fix that! And they even scolded me for not knowing more...

I found this to be unacceptable and the people working there abhorrent. I resolved to go home and learn all I could about pool maintenance from the most highly regarded and well cited source I could find online. So here I am.

I'd been going off the store's measurements but wanted to get the Taylor Test K-2006c as recommended, so I could compare and post the results here as indicated. The test arrived today, just a couple hours ago. In general, their tests look to be on par with what I got from the Taylor test that I just performed. So at least they weren't doping those one direction or the other.

Before knowing better, I used the shock that they'd sold me, along with something called Clear Aid. This did the trick for killing the algae but I'm still left with a fairly cloudy pool. Before I went any further with anything I wanted advice from the prophets of pool care.

The pool:
18,000 gal., IG, Plaster.
Located in Central California.

FC 0.6
CC 1.2
CYA ~32
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 450

I completely cleaned the filters a few days ago and ran the pump for about 12 hours after doing so. Then I added 1 gallon 12.5% liquid bleach because my FC and CC levels were reading even lower than they are now. I ran the pump roughly 6 hours when I did that and now btw 6 - 4 hours each day. It took nearly 5 days for the test kit to arrive so I didn't want to risk another algal bloom with such low Cl levels. Basically just maintaining it until I could take my readings and post.

If I were to guess, I would think that I need to bring up my CYA levels a bit, the pH down just a touch, then continue to add bleach and run the filter pump until levels are within ideal range. If the water didn't clear, SLAM. Although, that might be the recommended first step.

Thanks in advance for your advice and running a well tended forum.
Chyllo

Right on! Thanks for the super quick reply. And thank you for making me feel welcome!
Any chance to put on the Safety Glasses for science is a good day.

I'll follow the SLAM Process as recommended.

I've devoured the entirety of the Pool School content. Great stuff!

Thanks again and I'll let y'all know if I run into any problems. Stay cool and have a good one.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Since you like science you are in the right place as it will just click and make logical sense and then when you see it actually in action it's amazing

Reactions: Chyllo
Totally! Thanks Christina... I knew I found the right place when reading some of the initial guides here. The focus was on learning the how's and why's, instead of being told what to do without explanation or fed a bunch of marketing garbage.

It's how I try to approach everything anyway. Otherwise what's the fun? :p

Reactions: BenB
Trust the science. Where have you heard this? In the case of balancing your pool water it is absolutely correct. Take charge and take control. With the proper tools and a sound understanding of water chemistry, pool water balance is fully predictable, inexpensive and "Trouble Free".

Totally! Thanks Christina... I knew I found the right place when reading some of the initial guides here. The focus was on learning the how's and why's, instead of being told what to do without explanation or fed a bunch of marketing garbage.

It's how I try to approach everything anyway. Otherwise what's the fun? :p
To really watch it in action read some of the swamp recovery threads

Hey Chyllo and Welcome !!! We got you now. Read away and ask any thoughts or questions. Keep us posted with the current battle. :)

Welcome. As you are reading and getting ready to SLAM, also make sure you find a good local source for liquid chlorine. Usually it can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores etc. for much cheaper than the pool store, plus you dont have to listen to them try to lighten your walled with other unnecessary products.

Reactions: TFDWookie
Welcome. As you are reading and getting ready to SLAM, also make sure you find a good local source for liquid chlorine. Usually it can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores etc. for much cheaper than the pool store, plus you dont have to listen to them try to lighten your walled with other unnecessary products.
Hey great suggestions! Thank you. I was just about to do a search and see if any of the home improvement or big box stores had liquid chlorine/bleach available. The stuff I have now I picked up at the pool store and yea, it wasn't cheap. Plus there was a deposit on the bottles and crate, but that's typical for California so I didn't put up a fuss.

I'd really rather not give the pool store my business though, especially after the manager treated me like a naughty child because I was asking questions. So much appreciated.

All of you who've replied, thanks y'all! I found my people :cool:

Reactions: TFDWookie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right on! Thanks for the super quick reply. And thank you for making me feel welcome!
Any chance to put on the Safety Glasses for science is a good day.
If you like Science, soon you will be in the "Deep End".

It is a great process. Simple, follow the directions. And in the end you will have a crystal clear pool. And then follow the TFP methods and it will stay that way.

The pool:
18,000 gal., IG, Plaster.
Located in Central California.

FC 0.6
CC 1.2
CYA ~32
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 450
As suggested, follow the SLAM process. But otherwise, the CYA is good. TA in range, CH as well. Once you have the SLAM done, following TFP will be straight forward.

Hey great suggestions! Thank you. I was just about to do a search and see if any of the home improvement or big box stores had liquid chlorine/bleach available. The stuff I have now I picked up at the pool store and yea, it wasn't cheap. Plus there was a deposit on the bottles and crate, but that's typical for California so I didn't put up a fuss.

I'd really rather not give the pool store my business though, especially after the manager treated me like a naughty child because I was asking questions. So much appreciated.

All of you who've replied, thanks y'all! I found my people :cool:
Stick with the crate & jugs it shoukd be 12.5% and when u need more just take empty crate & pick up a full one was my only pool store trips in Cali

Reactions: Chyllo and Newdude
It's all proceeding as outlined and advised. The water is noticeably more clear today than yesterday. Almost double I'd say. The reaction fairies have been hungry for that sweet liquid chlorine, but I've been keeping them well fed. And monitored.

Liquid chlorine has been flying off the shelves here almost everywhere I look... But I'm sure thats due in large part to the heat wave.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice! A round of whatever you like on me 🥴

I’m really liking you! The desire you seem to have for the why’s is right up my alley! Just remember the main part of TFP, algae is always around and trying to grow. Your main goal is to add chlorine so it’ll kill the algae faster than it can grow. It appears that the algae has a good head start in your pool (cloudy water is a huge warning sign) so the best way to catch up is to throw tons more chlorine at it……which it sounds like you’re doing!

Welcome!

Don't forget that other stores sell chlorine too- Farm & Feed places, Janitorial Supply places, Grocery stores sell plain, non-clorox type bleach usually on the lowest shelf possible since its not a big name product.

Buy scentless, non-thickened, no Clorox brand, or any bleach that contains polymers which *supposedly* keep your clothes cleaner longer. They are all garbage.

PoolMath will adjust the amount you need to add for your desired goal but you have to tell it what strength product you're using. PoolMath can also help you determine best cost per ppm. Have you down loaded it yet? If you are on a lap top (like me) look at the bottom of the page to see and use the old web version. I like that one for when I'm helping folks. Its probably not techy enough for you though, right? :laughblue:

Maddie 🌻

PoolMath will adjust the amount you need to add for your desired goal but you have to tell it what strength product you're using. PoolMath can also help you determine best cost per ppm. Have you down loaded it yet? If you are on a lap top (like me) look at the bottom of the page to see and use the old web version. I like that one for when I'm helping folks. Its probably not techy enough for you though, right? :laughblue:

Maddie 🌻
Thanks! Yea I actually did buy some plain bleach 7% at a local grocery store right before I started the SLAM. I wanted to be sure I had enough on hand to not break the process once I'd started. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment though, so I caved and went to another pool store to get +10% bleach... I just don't have the bandwidth atm to call and drive around looking for the best bargain. I'd actually be losing money that way. Trust me, I did the math ;)

I am confused though... you said
Buy scentless, non-thickened, no Clorox brand, or any bleach that contains polymers which *supposedly* keep your clothes cleaner longer. They are all garbage.

Did you mean to NOT buy any bleach that contains polymers? But the rest were OK or all of those are garbage? Any regular, unadulterated bleach is fine, yes?

Thanks again!

I’m really liking you! The desire you seem to have for the why’s is right up my alley! Just remember the main part of TFP, algae is always around and trying to grow. Your main goal is to add chlorine so it’ll kill the algae faster than it can grow. It appears that the algae has a good head start in your pool (cloudy water is a huge warning sign) so the best way to catch up is to throw tons more chlorine at it……which it sounds like you’re doing!

Welcome!
Thank you! I'm liking you all as well. Its great to be on a forum where people aren't petty and trying to one-up each other with silly internet clout. 🙌

So yea I started with algae, killed it, then came the clouds of their particulate death. I've been SLAMin like a home run derby over here. I thought I might have been done last night but performed the OCLT and even though the pool was clear, I still lost about 3ppm overnight. Going for another day over here to dial in that sweet spot.

Big up!

Reactions: Newdude
Did you mean to NOT buy any bleach that contains polymers? But the rest were OK or all of those are garbage? Any regular, unadulterated bleach is fine, yes?
Oh lord yes!! You're correct and I meant DO NOT buy any that are scented, thickened, contain polymers or any Clorox products. Lately a lot of the plain bleach has additives in it that claim to "keep your clothes cleaner longer" and those are NOT good in pools. Basic plain bleach is usually on the very bottom shelf where I shop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.