Trouble DRAINING Pool

I just opened my pool and seen part of my vinyl lining is sagging. Also, I am starting my 3rd year and was thinking it would be a good time to drain pool which would also make fixing vinyl easier. I am able to drain from spa and even skimmer but not the main drain. it never primes. The water is green so its hard to see below but I swept and vacuumed (with battery charged vacuum) the main drain and picked up debris/worms. I hosed water back through the main drain and even refilled spa to help with prime/suction since its higher up from pool. No matter what, it doesnt want to grab from the main drain.

I have tested multiple valve setups
1. Only grab from main
2. Grab from main drain and spa or main drain and skimmer
3. I have started fully at spa/skimmer and slowly switched to main drain

No matter what, if there is water in skimmer or spa (2 different tests), it primes and grabs but once they empty (grabbing from main as well) or once I switch complete main, all water stop. This is all happening under WASTE. Pool was most likely built between 2000-2010.

I'm thinking worst case I just try to fix vinyl without draining and since the water has been refilled during hot season every week, the water isnt technically old since its always circulated? I was going to use the hot water process to soften vinyl and pull up...

Lowering the water level below 18" or so from the top with a vinyl liner is not a good idea. The liner can shift and potentially fail.

You should always use a sump pump to drain water from a pool. The pool pump can lose prime and it can be damaged.

Lastly, based off my theory of constantly having to refill pool due to evaporation throughout the year and vacuuming, is it really necessary to still follow the 3 year rule? If my pool was out of the sun and the water never replaced, I can imagine that needing to be changed but mine is directly over the hot sun and loses a lot of water every summer.

What is a three year rule? You manage your pool water chemistry based on pool owner testing. Do you have a test kit? Please list it in your signature.

You can rent a sump pump. But for essentially the same price you can buy one off Amazon or from Harbor Freight. typically a 1/4 to 1/3 hp unit is sufficient.

M,

There is no "3-year" rule.. Unless you believe in the myth that pool water needs to be changed.. Total bull... The only reason to replace the water is if you had to replace your liner... You will have to drain at least some water if you allow your CYA or CH to get too high, but that is not a time issue, it is a chemical issue, which you can control.

Jim R.

Thanks for confirming. My pool guy told me about 3 year rule and i see it online here and there. Water is water I guess. I bought the kit sold here, TF-101 I believe?

So then the only question is what is the best method to fix the vinyl liner? I was going to boil water, throw it on the saggy part and pull up and try to fit into the edge. Any better suggestions?

I bought a sump pump, 6.5 hp shop vac and was ready to tackle this job today but we had a real bad storm last night which brought my water level to the roof! Now the liner is in a position where it is easier to tug back in! I can return all this stuff now, thanks yaw! There is water behind the liner and it seems to have made it easier to tug in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.