Tried to deep clean my sand filter first time ever....think I messed up bad :( What are my options

ccbill

Jul 23, 2021
Atascadero, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What would be the best way to remove the sand and or filter to do a deep clean (shop vac?), and then can I clean the sand in another bucker or bin..and then shovel it back into the filter in the shed?
I would transfer it from the filter to a bin or a tub the do-the-deepclean in the tub before puting it back. Do you have a wheelbarrow or a yard cart to get the sand out of the shed?

I took my sand out by hand and it really wasn't that bad, a bit tedious. I think a shop vac would work, if it has a paper filter maybe replace it with a foam filter - it's going to get wet. Does your shop-vac have a nozzle inside with a "wet" position to direct the flow down?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Homebrewale

Apr 21, 2020
Apex, NC
It was probably hard to take apart because sand was on the center white pipe when it was inserted in the multi-port head. Now that you got it apart, make sure the center pipe is clean before reinstalling the multi-port. You could try a dry lube like a silicone spray but I would stay away from any gel-like lube where sand could stick to it before you reinstall.

Orion7319

Jul 1, 2020
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Considering that you have no idea if the previous owners liked to use clarifiers or ever used flock, personally I would just replace it. Once you remove the sand you’ve already done the hard part and you won’t have to worry about cleaning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread