trichlor, ezpool, or salt?

My own test this morning had me at 65. Kind of using their results to check my own. The chlorine issue is a perfect example. They had a result lower than mine for a couple of reasons. 1 my 871 reagent was out so I had to use the other test kit and it always has higher results. 2. The only pool store I trust around here is 30 minutes away. They have actually been pretty reliable and have taught me a good bit about making things go a more simple route. They were the first to alert me to the cya when it was 78. They also were the only ones who were willing to come help me with the light. The other big pool people here were so busy, they could not schedule me for 3+ weeks. Leslie's, 5 minutes away, has only worked their advice off the end points of abnormality. Definitely not the way to go and as my cya climbed, their reports kept saying OK. I won't even talk about their advice. It led to a horrendous mess with pot ash. I have learned to be picky with where I place my confidence. In the end, the chlorine read I will use for adjustment is the one I took when I got home, 5.6 because I saw the shift. At their change point, 5.4, my solution was still pink.

6/15

Last edited:
8'8" would be classified as a diving pool unless it is just a tiny spot in the deep end that is that deep, and the slope comes in too close to the deep end. Maybe that is a cannon ball rock, and not a diving rock. :) My pool is a 20X40 Grecian. It has a pretty big roughly 3.5' shallow end that goes down to 8.5' with a diving board. I found the pool info sheets in the garage after we moved in. It basically shows you the only safe way to dive. Before I saw that I learned the hard way by doing a running dive off the board, and almost slammed into the slope down to the deep end. On a side note, you won't bang your head if you keep your eyes open. If you can't open your eyes under water, you may have more tweaking to do on your chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, as the cya goes down, my chlorine level will be safely maintained at a lower read and the metals will be washed out as well. Good bye green hair! Ever so thankful to all of you for helping me find solutions that will make this delight less of a burden. Diving is not a good idea in this pool and I believe the slope is the issue. The paperwork has NON-Diving Pool in bold print. Oh, how I miss my first pool in Arizona. It was a perfect diving pool, simple cool-decking, limited surround foliage, and easy to clean. This one is surrounded by river oaks, straw landscaping, and bamboo.Though we have already removed 3 of the 5 bamboo stands,debris is forever in the pool. The decking is comprised of pavers that must constantly be checked to control for the growth of weeds that work their way through. One thunderstorm will drive all of the aforementioned into the water. To look at, it is lovely with a design push that is Asian. In reality, this pond like pool is a challenge. I am daily rescuing birds, frogs, or bumble bees from the water. Almost dread when the birds fly out of their nests. Little ones just can't seem to make it across the water. Can't blame my husband for not wanting to spend every hour on his weekends, pruning trees, cleaning debris, and dealing with the pool. It is a landscape designed to be maintained by a lawn company. But it is a pool and I will figure it out.

Order of operations question to complete this adjustment. Because of the 20% water dump and tap water addition I have several required adjustments. Chlorine (done already), Borax, Calcium chloride,and Baking Soda. How long after my chlorine adjustment do I need to wait before I make the next change? Should I start with the Borax or Baking Soda first? Should Calcium roll in last? What time interval should pass between adjustments? Should I be retesting values in between? Thanks, lyn ps...sorry to be a pest.

Last edited:
You should post up a full set of test results so that we can have a better idea of what adjustments to suggest. Having to adjust all that seems very unlikely. For one, you have a vinyl pool, so there is no need to add calcium.

Free Chlorine 6.5, with a target of 7, tool says to add 14 oz bleach
PH 7.65/ target 7.6/ tool says to add 2.5 oz acid
TA 80/ target is 90/ tool says to add 42 oz baking soda
Hardness 170/ target 250/because of fiberglass spa and equipment/ tool recommends 13lbs calcium
CYA 60/ target 50/ tool says to replace 17% of my water.

Uneasy with my CYA read. Store equipment said 64 yesterday so I may be low. Not sure what the test means when they say.......fill till the dot just disappears. Even at 60 I can see the dot if I have my glasses on.
What do you think of my targets? and how do you recommend I order and pace my adjustments? Thank you so much. lyn

ps current CSI says -.09

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are micro-managing. All those numbers are fine. Don't raise the TA, don't try to lower the pH by 0.05, don't worry about the CYA (it is not that high).

The only thing you apparently might want to do is raise the CH up a bit.

FC-fine plan.
PH-go for larger adjustments. Go from 7.65-7.4. No need to make tiny adjustments every single day.
TA- leave it.
CH- leave it.
CYA- as you wish.

Edit:forgot the fiberglass spa. Follow others advice to raise CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks All. I probably need to add that spa to my profile line so people can take it into account when it comes to the readings. I will set about adding the calcium and use larger adjustments for my PH when it hits
7.7. Thanks lyn

- - - Updated - - -

How does someone edit their ID line? I need to add the 500 gallon fiberglass spa with spill over to the entry.

Just reviewed some of the posts on not mixing chemicals. Need to ask advice. A month ago I bought some calcium chloride in big flake form. I did not have a large enough container to put the unused portions of the bag in so I put it in an old tri-chlor container. Can I still use this calcium? Do I need to contact the county for hazardous waste disposal? Glad I returned the cal-hypo the pool man wanted to sell me.

If I can use it, is it safe to add it to water 2 lbs at a time and then add to the pool?

Last edited:
Never mind researching. I have already contacted the hazardous waste department at our sanitation service dept. They will pick up the material on 9/6. Not worth any risk. I will just purchase some fresh calcium. These
chemicals are exactly that......chemicals first and foremost. lyn

Never mind researching. I have already contacted the hazardous waste department at our sanitation service dept. They will pick up the material on 9/6. Not worth any risk. I will just purchase some fresh calcium. These
chemicals are exactly that......chemicals first and foremost. lyn
you have a vinyl pool, no need to add calcium. They only problem you can have with calcium in a vinyl pool is too much of the stuff. Don't add calcium.

Oh, did I mention - no need to add calcium.

You numbers are looking good. Mix a drink and go sit by the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.