Trichlor, dichlor and stabilizer; safe Fc levels

Poolweekender

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, New York
Hi,
New BBB'r here...I'm fighting high CYA (80) but getting it down slowly...
I will be away for 2 weeks, and having someone take care of the pool...I wanted to confirm a couple of things please for my understanding...I would normally use only bleach now, but these questions arise because I will be away and need to make it easy for a friend to take care of the pool:

1 - If I add trichlor or dichlor granules to the pool, they dissolve almost immediately, so the stabilizer in the granules doesn't do anything to protect the chlorine in these same granules, correct? The stabilizer just adds to my already high CYA, correct? In other words, adding trichlor or dichlor granules is just like adding bleach, except it raises the CYA? So I think I'm better off adding calcium hypochlorite granules (my CH is low) while I'm away?

2 - If I add trichlor sticks in the skimmer, the CYA in the sticks will indeed slow down the release of chlorine from the sticks? I've used sticks for years which has lead to my high CYA, but I may need to use some sticks while I am away. And the Bioguard SmartSticks (trichlor) I use in the skimmer last about a week. (I don't plan to use any dichlor/trichlor sticks in the future, this is just while I am away...believe me, I'm not happy about adding any CYA at this point, but I'd rather not end up with an algae bloom - if that's the wrong way to think about things, please correct me :)).

3 - On a separate topic, with my CYA of 80, the Fc needs to be a minimum of 6 and the target is 9 to 11. In general people say that the max safe Fc is 4 or 5, but I understand this doesn't take CYA into account. I assume I am accurate that in my case with a CYA of 80, a Fc of 6 is safe, and even a Fc of 11 is safe? This is a question that I am asked by my fellow poolowners who I am trying to get to adopt BBB...

Many thanks for your help and this great site...

Justin

1. Yes, the granules add FC but they also add to the overall stabilizer (CYA) that is in your pool.

2. I've never used the sticks, but if they are like the pucks then they will slowly release in pool while also adding to your over stabilizer. However, you will need to determine how many sticks you will need to maintain your FC level above 6 (preferably above 9).

3. Yes those levels are safe, in fact many on here say it's safe to swim up to your shock level (although I've never swam at that high).

Here is one thought on having pool maintained while you're away. Before your trip, get your pool up to SLAM level and see how many days it takes your FC to drop down to 9 (or even 6 if you're fine having it go to bare minimum). Lets say it takes 5 days. Now, before your trip get your pool up to SLAM level and have the person come every 5 days to get it back up to SLAM level. You can pre-measure the amount of bleach it will take to get you from 9 to 31 or 4 to 31 to make it easier for the person helping you. My guess is that they will probably only have to come twice in two weeks.

Thanks spinPHD, I like your successive SLAM idea.

I'd like to restate my question #1 -- I think it's actually a STUPID question :), and so it's difficult to understand...
OTHER THAN THE CYA THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT, is adding trichlor or dichlor granules, as far as adding chlorine to the pool, the same as adding bleach...that is, does the CYA part of the tri/dichlor allow for slow release of the chlorine from these granules?
I assume once the granules are absorbed, the chlorine is immediately released, so it's the same as adding bleach, that is, there is no "time release" or "sustained release" of the chlorine.
That is my question...do tri/dichlor granules allow for slow release...I think the answer is NO...but just checking!
Thanks all!
Justin

Thanks pooldv.

Sorry all, but I'd like to restate my question again...:confused:

I am referring to trichlor/dichlor GRANULES only (NOT STICKS OR PUCKS).
You throw these granules in the pool, and they dissolve quickly.
Does the CYA that's part of these granules result in slow or sustained release of the chlorine in these granules?
I think the answer is NO - because the granules dissolve quickly and so all the chlorine is released then.

I know it's a somewhat stupid question, but I want to make sure I understand how the granules work.

Thanks!
Justin

No the stabilizer within dichlor or trichlor has nothing to do with how fast it dissolves. Adding any Triclor dichlor is the same as if you're adding bleach and stabilizer separately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks pooldv.

Sorry all, but I'd like to restate my question again...:confused:

I am referring to trichlor/dichlor GRANULES only (NOT STICKS OR PUCKS).
You throw these granules in the pool, and they dissolve quickly.
Does the CYA that's part of these granules result in slow or sustained release of the chlorine in these granules?
I think the answer is NO - because the granules dissolve quickly and so all the chlorine is released then.

I know it's a somewhat stupid question, but I want to make sure I understand how the granules work.

Thanks!
Justin

I just want to add another tidbit of info because Justin is still learning. Any solid form of chlorine with CYA (trichlor, dichlor, sticks, etc) has chlorine bound with CYA to make it a solid form you can hold in your hand. Once you put the solid item (granular, puck, stick) in the water, when it dissolves the CYA essentially helps prevent the chlorine from being broken down by the sun by holding it hostage and helps the chlorine stay in the water longer. The CYA doesn't change how fast/slow it dissolves. The rate is based on the size of the pieces, chemical makeup and a bunch of other factors that I don't want to list to not cloud the post with useless info. The above is just rough and very simplistic, but if you want to know more, there are threads out there you can search for.

Don't use the solid forms, it is counter productive to trying to lower your CYA. Go out and get some cups or bottles and premeasure the bleach for your friend to just dump in the water like described above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.