Treating a water fountain NOT connected to the pool

Sonosite

Apr 23, 2021
Southlake, Texas
Thank you for the invaluable information on how to take care of my pool. It has been a daunting learning curve, but I feel better given the site's and users' knowledge.

In addition to the pool, I have a water fountain in my yard with a small pump that pushes water up. It is made of concrete. Can I use the same pool knowledge for the care of the water fountain? Some other websites do not recommend using bleach as it too damaging to the pump and concrete? Any advice?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Some other websites do not recommend using bleach as it too damaging to the pump and concrete? Any advice?

Welcome to TFP.

We are not other websites and know the science and chemistry that bleach is just liquid chlorine and does no damage to pump or concrete when appropriate amounts are used. Some chlorine in the fountain should keep it algae free just like your pool.

Lilypad

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
I've used a small amount of bleach in years past, but find that hydrogen peroxide works very well in my fountain for algae control in our hot TX summers. From Henri Studios, who manufactured my fountain, their care info
says: To help keep fountain water clear from sludge, algae and cloudiness, starting with a clean fountain and clean fresh water, we recommend the use of Hydrogen Peroxide at a rate of one tablespoon per gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.