Treat Now or Winterize

May 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
While waiting for TA, pH, and chlorine levels to drop to treatable levels for phosphates and rust stains, our desert weather changed, dropping water temps to below 65ºƒ, probably 'til Spring 2021 or so. Winterizing a pool here means keeping the pump running during the occasional freeze warnings. Otherwise, pool remains uncovered, the pump runs four hours a day, monthly chemical checks, and monthly brushings. Thanks...JS

If you have an outbreak and "winterizing" means running the pump to prevent freeze-up, then there's no reason NOT to SLAM right now, and every reason to do it. Waiting only makes the problem worse, as algae growth is exponential.

With lower temperatures, algae growth is slower, and so too is the chemical reaction between algae and chlorine. That means your SLAM will be easier to maintain the proper FC levels.

If you have an outbreak and "winterizing" means running the pump to prevent freeze-up, then there's no reason NOT to SLAM right now, and every reason to do it. Waiting only makes the problem worse, as algae growth is exponential.

With lower temperatures, algae growth is slower, and so too is the chemical reaction between algae and chlorine. That means your SLAM will be easier to maintain the proper FC levels.
Got it. Thanks...JS

jf, are you saying that you are letting the levels fall in preparation for an Ascorbic Acid treatment? Do you know how you got the rust stains, and are they wide-spread all over?
Had to replace rusted out galvanized piping that was leeching rust into my pool water filler. Once the plumber finished, I thought I'd go after the mild phosphate level (100 or so) first, then tackle the rusted plaster with abscorbic acid treatment. If DE filter is satisfactory at iron removal, then I'll still consider total drain and refill before next swimming season...JS

I wouldn't worry so much about phosphates. They don't have much significance in algae-free water. A DE filter won't remove iron. But once you do the AA treatment, you will want to exchange the water if possible to actually remove the iron that will be in suspension. Taking advantage of the cooler water during the AA is a good thing. The water exchange might also help to lower your CH level if it's elevated which is so common in Tucson and surrounding areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.