Seminole Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
For those that have had experience with both surfaces, whats your take on Travertine tile vs concrete pavers. Pros and Cons. I have heard that Travertine holds up good but requires maintenance?

We just went yesterday to look at a friend’s pool He has travertine around the pool and concrete pavers for the path to his gate. He said he was told travertine was cooler but they’ve found that when it’s 110 outside it doesn’t matter, they are both scorching hot. He said if he had to do it again he would just do the cheaper pavers. One of my biggest problems with travertine is that I find they are slippery. My kids, the grown ones and younger one, have told us not to get them because they feel the same way.

Maybe the difference between AZ heat and FL heat. I know the pools I’ve been in here with them, including our community pool, they’ve been very hot.

Reactions: Rq120
Travertine is surprisingly cool to touch, even in the hot Texas sun. I think travertine looks more elegant than concrete pavers, but I guess it depends on the overall design of the pool.

Reactions: StacyLT
I can only compare my travertine deck and my concrete stepping stones that lead to my equipment pad, but I can tell you the travertine is not hot at all. In August when it is 105, I can walk barefoot around the travertine pavers. If I have to walk barefoot to the equipment pad and its that hot, I'm walking in the grass.

If I had to do it over, I would absolutely do travertine again.

I've had a travertine porch for 4 years and still looks great and isn't hot even with the high south TX temps.

We just added in the pool with matching travertine and it looks seamless so I'd say it holds up well and is worth it. Nicer overall look

When I talked to my neighbors about how they liked their travertine decks, all three said if they could go back they would go with concrete pavers. Heat isn't an issue with a screen enclosure if you are getting one. I put both travertine and concrete pavers out in direct sun all day and went out at 2 pm and stepped on them and I couldn't tell a difference in the heat, both were comfortable. I would get samples to do a heat test. As far as travertine, if you have kids who run around the pool, they will slip. One neighbors boy slipped and split his head open on a lounge chair. The other neighbors boys have all slipped and fell around the pool. And the third neighbor didn't get the top of the line travertine, so there is pitting up to the size of a quarter in some places. She reported kids have cut their feet and got toes stuck in the holes... She also had the company come back to grout in the holes. I went with marble around the coping that was sand blasted to give it some grit and I feel sturdy walking around when it is wet. I haven't run on it and pumped the brakes or I am sure I would fall. LOL. I did concrete pavers around the rest of the deck and everyone that comes by loves the look of it. I've held three pool parties with kids in 4-8 yo range and no one has slipped yet running around. One other side note was I liked the straight coping, but after seeing the kids horse playing around a neighbors pool it looked like a bad accident waiting to happen, so we went with the bullnose and I am happy to report it was the right choice for kids around the pool versus me liking it aesthetically.

Reactions: Auburn02
I was in the same boat a few months ago then we came across Arterra porcelain tile. I did a side by side comparison between Arterra Petra Beige and Ivory travertine and they look identical. The main reason why I’m going with porcelain is there maintenance free. No sealing or filling in holes with grout. I want to spent
my time enjoying the pool not working around it.

Reactions: Tpettit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good points bbqjosh. I have little ones and they run even though I'm constantly telling them not to. They have not slipped on the pavers either. If I had a slippery surface I would be in trouble. Def a consideration with kids.

I was in the same boat a few months ago then we came across Arterra porcelain tile. I did a side by side comparison between Arterra Petra Beige and Ivory travertine and they look identical. The main reason why I’m going with porcelain is there maintenance free. No sealing or filling in holes with grout. I want to spent
Filling holes in travertine is not required really and if you get a quality stone (avoid online suppliers) then holes should be minimal.

Reactions: Cena_sea
Do you happen to have a photo of your pool deck?

I went with the Travertine French Pattern and we are absolutely thrilled with it. I have had it for 8 months now and it wears well. I notice when its wet it can be a little slippery but no issues yet. I have a rectangular shaped pool, if it was round I would have went with pavers.
We are thinking about a sealer product that has a built in grit for non slip. My neighbors just had it done and they love the way it feels and looks.

Reactions: brimorga
Am happy with my concrete pavers and concrete in backyard but travertine is so much easier to clean. I just wipe with plain water on any cloth. It is cooler then pavers, which are cooler than concrete.

Last edited:
I don't find our pavers to be hot at all. They get warm, but never have they been too hot for my bare feet. Our pavers are a tan base color.
Can I ask what part of Florida? I am up near St. Augustine and have a screen enclosure with badly cracked concrete /coolcrete - have quotes for 1" concrete paver overlay but have had a few people say they will get really hot - my patio faces east and is in sun until 3 pm? Do you ever feel you have to wear sandal walking on them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.