Travertine Coping cuts and Pool Light Questions

RedTx

Jun 12, 2020
DFW, Texas
Hi, this is my first post and we are in the process of getting bids to renovate our pool - coping, tile, finish. My first question is about the dimensions of the coping. Our current brick coping is 9 inch, but the travertine coping comes in 12 inch sizes. The first bid said they would just cut our aggregate deck around the perimeter for this extra size. Does that sound normal? I assume cutting concrete is fairly routine, but I searched TFP and couldn't find anything.

Second question is about the pool lights. I've seen that some LED lights have poor reviews or don't last long. We currently have the old school lights and they work just fine. We don't need/desire a wifi light show, and frankly lighting is not that important to us. Should we still replace the fixtures during the remodel? Any advice for or against?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

The older light if you like them seem to work the best and last the longest.. You can change out the niche and put the old light right back in...

You can do all kinds of crazzzy things with a saw... if they say they can do it should not be a problem... Is this going to be a salt water pool? I got all kinds of samples of travertine and I really love the look, I ended up going with Pavers for my coping.. I have to worry about freeze thaw and you do not.. :)

Great, thanks! While I have your ear, do you know if it is standard/not standard to replace the pool return jets/fittings when doing a chip out and refinish? One company advertised they are "better" because they do that, but it had never crossed my mind before.

You can and I probably would.. 30 years of UV those parts are probably getting brittle... what happens if you leave the old and they break 3 or 4 years from now... way easier to do it while it is torn up :)

if you can replace the whole plumbing I would also do that, redo everything from the pool to the pad.. it may not be possible but if it is you could change everything out... How does your skimmer look? do you have 2 skimmers?

All these can be done while it is torn apart for not much more money, you can have a brand new updated pool.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.