Transformer noise

Thorn

Apr 6, 2020
Central California
I don't use the lights often but, I was / am having trouble with the pool light. When switched on, there was a hesitation before the light came on. Then the hesitation went away. Then the light didn't come on at all.

I was going to call for service and went to check again. Now the pool light comes on fine, but, I noticed when switching on the spa light there is a petty loud click or thump coming from the transformer. The spa light has always and still does work fine.

My concern is the noise, as it is only form one light and also the delay that was happening, and of course the fact the the light didn't come on at all one time.
I recently purchased this house with pool. The previous owners left a box of Amerlite Kwik change lenses, so I assume the light is a 12v Amerlight, assume incandescent , but that's all I know now.

Incandescent lights are not 12V.

I think you may have a 12V halogen light that takes a minute to warm up and get to full brightness.

Need more details of what light you have to guess further.

T,

Transformers sometimes hum.. and can make a clunk sound when first turned on.. It is not something to be worried about. I doubt it has anything to do with the light not working. 99.8 times out of a hundred, the transformer is never bad.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Incandescent lights are not 12V.

I think you may have a 12V halogen light that takes a minute to warm up and get to full brightness.

Need more details of what light you have to guess further.
Likely halogen then. Not sure about the warm up, as usually the light comes on as soon as the switch is flipped.
If transformer not likely the problem, what could cause the light to not come on? (actually it didn't come on only one evening and I tried flipping the switch a few times in the course of an hour) The delayed response to the light being switched has not happened lately, and the light seems to work normally since that evening, but still curious as to why it happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.