Total system failure from stressed valve actuator?

Wilco500

Jan 25, 2020
Tucson
Found today that there was no power to either control board or any of the equipment. Traced it to having left backwash hose too close to main valve actuator, to which it was wound tightly and must have caused a failure. I could just replace the jandy VA 2440, but I am worried this may have done other damage since nothing is showing signs of power. All fuses to the area are fine. Any thoughts?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

I'm sure it is just me, but I have no clue what your problem is... :scratch:

How about telling us what systems you have and what does not have power... It is unlikely that a valve actuator is going to cause major power outages.. The worst it would do is blow a fuse on the 24 VAC line.. Assuming you have some type of automation.

Tell us more... and post pics as a pic is always worth 1,000 words..

It would help a lot if you completed your pool's signature...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Wilco500

Jan 25, 2020
Tucson

I'm sure it is just me, but I have no clue what your problem is... :scratch:

How about telling us what systems you have and what does not have power... It is unlikely that a valve actuator is going to cause major power outages.. The worst it would do is blow a fuse on the 24 VAC line.. Assuming you have some type of automation.

Tell us more... and post pics as a pic is always worth 1,000 words..

It would help a lot if you completed your pool's signature...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for replying. Picture of what exactly? And what would the 24 VAC line look like

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
How did you determine there is no power?

Do you have a multimeter? What locations have you tested power at?

Post a pic of the interior wiring of your Aqualink. Also pics of your pool equipment and actuators.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Thanks for updating your signature...

Like Allen, I assume "JandyLink" is your Jandy Aqualink automation system... If this is true, then the Aqualink is what sends 24 volts AC to your actuators causing them to turn.. If only one actuator will not turn then most likely the wire to the actuator or the actuator is bad.. If none of them turn, then it is most likely the Aqualink system itself is bad or that some Internal fuse has popped, or it is not getting any AC power. If nothing on the Aaualink is lite up, or working, then most likely the circuit breaker powering the Aqualink has popped.

Thanks,

Jim R.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Please post a complete pic of your entire panel. You cutoff the top and the bottom. The actuator sockets are above the button panel.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

In the upper right of the panel you can see several three pin connectors.. I suggest that you remove the two plugs that are coming from your valves and see if that brings your panel back to life.. Not sure it will, but it is worth two minutes of work. Remember which connector goes where.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wilco500

Jan 25, 2020
Tucson
I had unscrewe one of those those plug and there was a central wire that was still attached inside. Do i need to completely open the VA to disconnect?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Since you have no power to anything on the pool, have you checked the breaker feeding the panel? It should be in the house panel or at the meter base panel.

Wilco500

Jan 25, 2020
Tucson
Pretty sure there is power going to the equipment, breakers checked, but no lights on either the inside control panel or outside power control box ( each on separate circuit boxes). I think I blew a circuit board, although I dont see any evidence on the boards themselves. Guess i have to call someone