Total newb, no idea what to make of this equipment.

nathanrhale

Oct 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all, I’m a new pool owner (came with the house we just bought) and I have no idea what I’m doing, especially when it comes to this equipment. Any words of explaination or even general pointers on where to start would be so helpful. I’m even mystified by the timer 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• A25F7335-6F69-4DBA-B4E5-B0634830C651.jpeg
    A25F7335-6F69-4DBA-B4E5-B0634830C651.jpeg
    735.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 5026CB66-3C1E-4DA0-AB7E-121088EDCD39.jpeg
    5026CB66-3C1E-4DA0-AB7E-121088EDCD39.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 31
  • 542F97FA-0059-49C9-8BD8-4968A5D1310B.jpeg
    542F97FA-0059-49C9-8BD8-4968A5D1310B.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 29
  • A92176D0-E6DB-490C-87BE-3C193C21C167.jpeg
    A92176D0-E6DB-490C-87BE-3C193C21C167.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Nathan,

You have a Hayward DE filter, most likely a 48 Sq.Ft. unit.. It has a push/pull backwash valve. When backwashing (cleaning) the filter, the blue hose will fill with water..

You have a single speed pump..

To the right is a junction box with a covered switch below it.. I suspect it turns your pool light on.

Since you only have one pipe coming into your pump, I would assume you have a single skimmer and that you main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer.

The timer should turn your pump and and off.. If you look at the timer, you can see that it has an 'ON" tab and an "OFF tab.

When the pump is running, I would expect for the gauge on top of the filter to read 10 to 20 lbs pressure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nathan,

Some additional thoughts...

DE filters have a product inside called Diatomaceous Earth (DE).. If you backwash, you have to add more DE.. The amount of DE you need to add is based upon the size of your filter. If the filter is taken apart and cleaned you will need to add 100% of the amount listed on the filter or in the manual.. If backwashing, you need to add 80%... as some dirty DE will stay in the filter.

You need to check out our pool school... Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Hi Nathan,
Congratulations on the new house and pool. Your pool filter system is fairly simple and looks to be in good shape so take some time to learn how it all works and how to maintain it and your pool.
The basket with the clear lid, next to the pump is on the "suction side". Keep an eye on this basket and clean it when necessary and also clean the basket in your poolside skimmer frequently. There is an o-ring seal under the clear lid that should be lubed with silicone grease before reinstallation. The suction side line starts at your pool skimmer and your bottom drain. Past the pump is the "pressure side" and the pressure gauge on top of the filter will indicate when it is time to clean or backwash the filter grids. Once past the filter grids the water will enter the pool via the returns located along the pool wall. Your filter is a DE system and provides the the finest (traps the smallest particles) of all the filter systems. Pool DE, diatomaceous earth coats the grids and filter down to 3 microns. It is an all-natural, high-grade powder derived from tiny fossilized exoskeletons of water plants called diatoms. The DE systems does have a learning curve for best operation so learn how it operates and how to remove and clean the grids. Look on youtube for good vids detailing this process. Speaking of vids, TFP has a good collection so have a look when you get time. Trouble Free Pool
Also locate your equipment ID numbers and try to find the owners manuals for your equipment. Lots to learn but anticipate good times poolside for years to come. :cheers:

Last edited:
Nathan,

Some additional thoughts...

DE filters have a product inside called Diatomaceous Earth (DE).. If you backwash, you have to add more DE.. The amount of DE you need to add is based upon the size of your filter. If the filter is taken apart and cleaned you will need to add 100% of the amount listed on the filter or in the manual.. If backwashing, you need to add 80%... as some dirty DE will stay in the filter.

You need to check out our pool school... Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you! Thanks too for the link. I've got a lot of research to do, but I think I'm getting the hang of it, slowly. Figured out the timer, lol!

Hi Nathan,
Congratulations on the new house and pool. Your pool filter system is fairly simple and looks to be in good shape so take some time to learn how it all works and how to maintain it and your pool.
The basket with the clear lid, next to the pump is on the "suction side". Keep an eye on this basket and clean it when necessary and also clean the basket in your poolside skimmer frequently. There is an o-ring seal under the clear lid that should be lubed with silicone grease before reinstallation. The suction side line starts at your pool skimmer and your bottom drain. Past the pump is the "pressure side" and the pressure gauge on top of the filter will indicate when it is time to clean or backwash the filter grids. Once past the filter grids the water will enter the pool via the returns located along the pool wall. You filter is a DE system and provides the the finest (traps the smallest particles) of all the filter systems. Pool DE, diatomaceous earth coats the grids and filter down to 3 microns. It is an all-natural, high-grade powder derived from tiny fossilized exoskeletons of water plants called diatoms. The DE systems does have a learning curve for best operation so learn how it operates and how to remove and clean the grids. Look on youtube for good vids detailing this process. Speaking of vids, TFP has a good collection so have a look when you get time. Trouble Free Pool
Also locate your equipment ID numbers and try to find the owners manuals for your equipment. Lots to learn but anticipate good times poolside for years to come. :cheers:
This is awesome, thank you so much! I'm excited to check out those videos and learn how to maintain that filter. Super interesting about DE, this is new info to me! I don't have a basket in my skimmer, so that might be something I have to find. The vacuum hose goes into the skimmer; I'm not sure what's up with that.

Nathan,

The main job of a skimmer is to remove any floating debris on the surface of your pool.. These debris get caught in the basket, so that they don't get to your filter.

You can use the suction port in the skimmer to run a "suction side" cleaner.. In theory, you would only connect the cleaner to the skimmer when you want the vacuum to run.. You cannot skim and run the cleaner at the same time. Just one reason why suction cleaners, well.. Suck. :mrgreen:

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but I suggest that you move from 1970's technology and into this Century.. I use a robot cleaner that does not require the pump to be run at all.

Like this one...

Also skimmers do not work well unless your skimmer has a "Weir" door.. In the mouth of your skimmer, between the pool water the skimmer basket, you should have a little door that floats up and down. My guess is that your weir door is missing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello all, I’m a new pool owner (came with the house we just bought) and I have no idea what I’m doing, especially when it comes to this equipment. Any words of explanation or even general pointers on where to start would be so helpful. I’m even mystified by the timer 🤦🏻‍♂️
I was in a similar situation not long ago. I found it helpful to look at the labels on each component of the pool system, and use Google to find and download the manuals for each component. I compiled all of the information into a PowerPoint file and proceeded to create a diagram of the system. The diagram was initially incomplete and fragmented, but I was able to complete it as I learned about the missing parts. Overall, it was a fun exercise and as folks on TFP helped shed light on various things, and provided nuggets of insights, I kept adding them to my notes. I tried attaching my notes here, but the file size was too large 5.8MB.

Reactions: nathanrhale
Nathan,

The main job of a skimmer is to remove any floating debris on the surface of your pool.. These debris get caught in the basket, so that they don't get to your filter.

You can use the suction port in the skimmer to run a "suction side" cleaner.. In theory, you would only connect the cleaner to the skimmer when you want the vacuum to run.. You cannot skim and run the cleaner at the same time. Just one reason why suction cleaners, well.. Suck. :mrgreen:

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but I suggest that you move from 1970's technology and into this Century.. I use a robot cleaner that does not require the pump to be run at all.

Like this one...

Also skimmers do not work well unless your skimmer has a "Weir" door.. In the mouth of your skimmer, between the pool water the skimmer basket, you should have a little door that floats up and down. My guess is that your weir door is missing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok yes, there’s no weir door and no basket, cleaner is attached inside skimmer. Seems like the setup you are describing. Basically, I don’t have a functional skimmer since the basket and door were removed to attach cleaner.

Thankfully I’m not seeing a lot of debris in the pool; I’m able to get most everything right now off the surface in about 5 min with the net.

That robot vacuum looks awesome! I’ll have to save up for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.