Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am at my wits end. my chlorine is out of control, searching the web, I came to the conclusion, that I have a chlorine lock. This bubble popped when I came here, to find out, that there is not such a thing. 10 days ago I shocked my pool because algae start creeping in, 2 days later I shocked again, cause the water actual got more cloudy. What can I do to get my chlorine under control??? So here are my numbers from 9 days ago and today.

6-24-21
Free CL -15
Total CL -15
Comb C -0
PH -8.2
TA-130
CYA-55
Salt-2176

7-3-21
Free CL -13
Total CL-19
Comb C-6
PH -7.5
TA -110
CYA - 55
Salt - 3200

Please...somebody, anybody help !!!

Suggest you review and use the SLAM Process
"Shocking" every few days isn't going to fix your issue.

Post a full set of test results from your TF-100.
How old are your reagents?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

Be aware, pH will test falsely high with FC above 10.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

the test results are in my post, my reagents are less than 1 year old and stored inside the house.

Do you have a test result for calcium hardness? Did you use a non-chlorine shock product?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

Do you cover your pool? Normally you won't see CC's over 1.0 unless there is something else going on.
no, never covered the pool. Those numbers are so out of wack, I start loosing my insanity.

I start to slam yesterday. Checked the last time @ 23:00 and the FC was up to 22.
this morning @ 8:00 it was 21.5, brought it up to 22 again, still cloudy, brushed the button and turned my cleaner on to help to suck the algae mess out the pool. how often should I backwash through the slam process?
Btw. Happy 4th July!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you get from Salt of "2176" (an impossible result for you to have tested yourself) to 3200?

Also CYA goes in 10s, you can't have tested 55.

Your CYA is 60. If the dot disappears between 60 and 50 we round up and call it 60. You can’t get a reading of 55.

Your SLAM FC is 24. Follow the FC/CYA Levels.

Maintain a FC of 24. It will take a while to clear your algae problem. You need to be patient and let the chlorine work.

How did you get from Salt of "2176" (an impossible result for you to have tested yourself) to 3200?

Also CYA goes in 10s, you can't have tested 55.
I have a digital TDS & E professional meter to test the salt. And for the CYA, it stopped between 50 and 60, so I came up with 55. Should I round up or down?

And for the CYA, it stopped between 50 and 60, so I came up with 55. Should I round up or down?

We round up. The CYA scale is logarithmic, not liner and you can't eyeball values between the lines.

Reactions: astrid
did you really go 9 days between testing?

Don't even think about listing a "TC" (FC + CC=TC). Its a useless value since it doesn't tell anyone anything.

You're using liquid shock only, right?
I thought the TC was relevant, since it is listed on the TF-100 test kit. Why list some we don't need?
I did go 9 days, in the illusional hope that the chlorine will just disappears...not happened!
And I am slamming the pool since 7-3-21. It's getting better, I think.
Today's values are:
FC 17
CC 1
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 90
CYA 30
Salt 2343

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.