Total and free chlorine are both 0

wilbanks51

Sep 14, 2013
16 x 32 4ft. deep. Water is clear. No alage present.
Total hardness is 250
Ph is 6.8
Total Alkalinity is 180
stabilizer is 50
total chlorine is 0
free c hlorine is

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Liquid chlorine. IF your CYA is 50, you do not want to add anymore. How did you get those test results?

Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
do how can pool be crystal clear and chlorine be zero?
When water is not properly sanitized organic contaminants begin to multiply. Low levels of chlorine are exhausted rapidly and is your first clue that organics are established and lurking.
You are unable to see low populations in your water. As the algae reproduces in ideal conditions you may notice "cloudy water" but even this is subtle and easily missed. When the infestation explodes the water takes on the green hue that often is the first clue for the negligent pool owner. Population dynamics are fascinating. Proper sanitation is all about prevention.

wilbanks51

Sep 14, 2013
i don't have any problem buying your test kit, however, if my stabilizer is in range, like i asked before, how can my pool be crystal clear and algae free?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Depends on your definition of crystal clear. Can you call heads or tails of a quarter in the pool?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You have algae. You have been adding enough chlorine in some manner to hold it off, almost. The pool water is not sanitary and should not be swam in.

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
Go ahead and give it a day or two and it will be green, will you be happy then?

Algae doesn't just appear instantly, it grows and it is growing unchecked in your pool. At least tell me you have already fixed this problem and brought your FC level up.

And if you have cloudy water and zero FC then you need to start the SLAM Process.