Total Alkalinity vs. Adjusted TA

Mar 24, 2017
Spring
Can someone explain the importance / difference between TA and the Adjusted TA reading? I can do TA with my kit. Some stores use testing that I believe also reads TA. However at Tex Sun their computerized test comes up with an adjusted TA. There is a measureable difference. Which is correct or more correct? Does it matter? Is there a way to get an adjusted TA other than at this BioGuard store? Thanks

Adjusted TA takes into account CYA, but the difference is so small we usually ignore it.

We also usually ignore pool store testing too :) Waste of time/gas/effort.

Thank you both. I use pool store testing since they run more tests than my simple test kit. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a more comprehensive testing system?? Any recommendations? The comment on CYA brings up a related question / comment. I read somewhere the CYA should be in the 20 - 50 range. I'm not sure if that's right or depends on where you live, climate, etc. Mine is always around 100. I don't see how it could be much lower as it rains pretty regularly here in Houston and I added quite a bit of water after having the coping inside of the pool bead blasted. And I wonder if I should use unstabilized chlorine tabs instead of stabilized ones? Thanks for the advice!

The two kits that contain the tests we need you to have to give you the best advice possible are the:

K-2006C (C gives you extra reagents that you need - the K2006's bottles are teeny tiny) - Available here: K-2006C
TF-100 (The best value, period) - Available here: TF-100

Since you already have a small kit that likely contains the OTO Chlorine Test and the pH Test that the TF-100 includes, they now have the TF-50: TF-50 This one has a smaller bottle of the main FAS-DPD test reagent, but again, saves you some cash if you're running short. Just be aware that it has less needed reagents that will force you to refill pretty quickly if you're trying to deal with a pool problem.

I'd also recommend a Speed-Stir - it greatly eases the effort of testing: Speed Stir

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.