Total Alkalinity - TA Recommended Levels vs TF100

nicheel

Silver Supporter
Aug 14, 2018
Litchfield Park, AZ
Question about TA on PoolMath app for iPhone vs the instructions in the TF100 test kit.

On the PoolMath app it states a TA suggested range of 70 to 90 and on the TF100, Weekly Tests instructions it states 60-90 for salt water and 100-120 for manually chlorinated pools. I have a manually chlorinated pool and my TA averages around 110-130. Is that the correct range or do I need to lower it?

How much acid are you using to keep pH in line? You only ever “need” to reduce TA when pH rises to fast and you are constantly adding acid. In my pool I finally found the sweet spot at TA 60.

But, don’t go below 50 or so of TA can get unstable.

How much acid are you using to keep pH in line? You only ever “need” to reduce TA when pH rises to fast and you are constantly adding acid. In my pool I finally found the sweet spot at TA 60.

But, don’t go below 50 or so of TA can get unstable.

My pool is only 2 weeks old and here are the latest results.

FC 4.0
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 250
CYA 30
CSI -0.18
Temp 53 F

My pool is only 2 weeks old and here are the latest results.

FC 4.0
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 250
CYA 30
CSI -0.18
Temp 53 F

Your PH will naturally rise and you will be adding MA to lower it. A byproduct of adding MA is it will lower your TA. So over time as you continuously lower your PH it will bring your TA down.

Measure the TA in your fill water. High TA in your fill water will work against the MA lowering your TA.

After your plaster cures in 6 months to a year and if your PH doesn't stabilize it may then take an effort to lower your TA while aerating to raise your PH.

After filling my pool after an acid wash in July and finding TFP after searching for "how to startup" a pool. I've followed the recommendations here and have watched my TA find its own level.

After initially balancing the water, it took about a week, my readings were:
fc 3.8
cc 0.2
ph 7.8
ta 110
ch 250
cya 30

Now, 5 months later, I've gotten into a maintenance (testing and dosing) routine and it is trouble free. Currently, my TA has fallen with MA doses necessary due to my spillover spa and the aeration raising PH that causes. I have to dose 10 oz of MA every 3rd day when PH rises to 7.8 and as I've watched TA fall, I prepared to raise it when necessary by purchasing and having on hand Arm & Hammer pure baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to dose TA back up to 60 - 70 ppm when it eventually falls to 50 ppm.

This week's numbers:
fc 5.6
cc 0
ph 7.6
ta 60
ch 420
cya 40 (I used pucks when I've taken two 1 week vacations)

Now, 5 months later, I've gotten into a maintenance (testing and dosing) routine and it is trouble free. Currently, my TA has fallen with MA doses necessary due to my spillover spa and the aeration raising PH that causes. I have to dose 10 oz of MA every 3rd day when PH rises to 7.8 and as I've watched TA fall, I prepared to raise it when necessary by purchasing and having on hand Arm & Hammer pure baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to dose TA back up to 60 - 70 ppm when it eventually falls to 50 ppm.

This week's numbers:
fc 5.6
cc 0
ph 7.6
ta 60
ch 420
cya 40 (I used pucks when I've taken two 1 week vacations)

Now that you have your TA where you want it, manage your PH to add MA when it gets to 8 and lower it to about 7.7. You will probably find you have to add MA less often and your TA may not drop further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.