Total Alkalinity and Chlorine

jonathan8610

Jul 10, 2019
Connecticut
I just received my Taylor K-2006 kit in the mail and was doing some water tests this afternoon. Before receiving the kit, I added alkalinity increaser and shocked the pool using some results from Leslie's (not optimal, but needed something as a basis before my test kit came in). When I received my kit, I performed a FC, CC and CYA test before moving on to the TA test, but my sample goes from green to clear and then does not turn red (even at an extremely high dose of the reagant, probably around 30 drops worth). My question is, is a high FC reading (21 ppm) causing an error in the TA test or is my TA really that high? Leslie's said that my TA was 70 so I added 5 LBs of Alkalinity Increaser. My pH was 7.2 prior to shocking the pool as I know those tests are unreliable at high chlorine levels.

Test Results:
FC - 21
CC - 1
pH - 7.2
TA - ?
CH - 70
CYA - 70

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
From Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool
Continue adding drops until the color changes to something more or less red, pink, yellow, or clear. The sample may switch between green, blue, and gray while you are adding drops. That is not the color change you are waiting for.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So clear is an acceptable color change? It went from green to clear but not red. So I should just use the number of drops to go from green to clear?
At 21FC the test can bleach out. Clear is a color change too so you should be fine to count that.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It will come down as you keep the pH in the 7's.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.