Topping off pool during boil water advisory?

CB_Pool

Oct 19, 2020
League City, TX
First post. I'm in Houston and just went through some things with the weather. Had to drain my pool equipment due to loss of power. The cyclone filter froze solid. Fingers crossed it (and the rest of the equipment) didn't crack. My question is: I am ready to go out and try to start up the filter pump again after being off for 5(?) days, but my water level is a little low due to evaporation. We are under a boil water advisory and I can't seems to find enough information online to make me comfortable knowing if I should fill the pool. Will a SLAM be enough to clean the water I put in or should I just wait a couple more days until the boil water advisory is lifted? I haven't tested the water since the equipment was off so I may have to SLAM it anyway. My levels were fine before the weather hit.

I think you would be safe with a slam. Most of the water districts hope to lift the boil notices Monday or Tuesday, once all repairs are made and test results are back. I think you will be fine if you top off and slam now or wait for the notice to lift. Unless your water is going green you will not need a prolonged slam this time of year.

^^^^ +1. If you are adding actual skanky water that needs to be sanitized and not just ‘a good idea’ for the sake of the public just in case, you may see a slight uptick in FC demand.

Reactions: PoolBrews
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the help. Other than a lack of information specific to this exact scenario online, my #1 concern was one of the few things I did find said that cryptosprodium was chlorine resistant, and that is one possible concern during a boil water advisory.

Depending on your CYA (I’d guess it’s a 20 if you haven’t kept up with it because winter) it will only be 1 gallon (give or take) to bring you to SLAM so you feel better. The chlorine resistance was in regards to drinking water levels

‘In general, the required levels of chlorine preclude the use of chlorine disinfection as a reliable method to control Cryptosporidium in drinking water.’

So SLAM it and sleep well for $4.:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CB,

Welcome to TFP! What are your full test results? Not sure how much you know about TFP methods but want to be sure you know about the FC/CYA relationship and its importance for a safe pool. Once you have time to complete the SLAM your main concern will be general disinfection. Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Ask any questions you may have.

We have a lot of friends and family in your area... been a tough time and glad the worst part is finally over!

Chris

I see absolutely NO BENEFIT to shutting down a working sanitation system. The circulatory system is installed in your pool to filter out debris and keep your water sanitized.........use it.

Run a full set of tests when your pool is refilled and decide then if a SLAM is in order but get your system running regardless.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I tried to start up the equipment today and long story short I can't keep air out of the pump. I had the pool side running for a while but then lost it when I switched over to the spa side, and I figure there was air in those lines. Everything is still under warranty and it's new so I'm just submitting a service ticket with the builder. Not sure if there is a leak or just too much air in the system for my expertise level and I'm a mechanical engineer. Go figure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.