Top of water continuously dirty

lindz18

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
Y'all I'm about to lose my mind over top surface of my pool. I always have a layer of "dirt" on my pool. Unfortunately, the people who built our pool put the skimmers and jets on the same side of the pool. Any ideas on how to keep it cleaner?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Dirt rarely floats. I assume it is plant material?

There are powered skimmers called Solar Breeze that run around the pool. See if that might help.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Do your skimmers have operating Weir doors???

Do you try to keep your water level no higher than the middle of the skimmer mouth?

How long do you run your VS pump and at what speeds??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mr Bruce

TFP Guide
Mar 24, 2014
Greenville, SC
If you get a big rain and it's above the top of the skimmer take the skimmer cover off and dump water to waste. Watch the floating things near the skimmer mouth, when they start getting sucked in stop dumping water and switch to filter. I have a pitiful setup as well and my skimming action is very sensitive to water level.

beez74

Oct 15, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Angle the return jets to ripple the surface turned left or right so the water circles the pool ...our builder had ours straight out and the surface never moved leaving a layer of dirt...I had no clue if you pushed the jet they swiveled, once i changed the angle my problems were solved.

Reactions: Richard320

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Yeah, I'd try aiming the returns differently. I have mine pointed just slightly up, enough that I can see a tiny ripple about three feet away from the return. It gets a surface current flowing and also serves as a target when I'm pouring in bleach or acid.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
As above, make sure the water level is below the top of the skimmer so that the surface velocity of the water (and therefore the skimming efficiency) is maximized.