Too much salt...

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
This is my first year with a SWG. I added a little too much salt, my numbers are 3700 and when I turn on my SWG after it has circulated for about 24 hours, it is giving me a HIGH SALT reading.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
If it is producing chlorine you can ignore it. If not, you will have to drain and refill a portion of your pool water.

Positronic

May 29, 2010
No it won't but that is the great thing about salt is it's consistency. If your pool is open and you get a lot of rain that could dilute your water and lower the salt. To lower it, you'll need to drain part of it and refill. Drain 3" and add 3" of water and wait a day and see what your salt reading is. Keep a record of this so you'll know how much water affects your salt level. For example, if the salt reading drops from 3700 to 3500 you'll know that for every 3" you drain & refill will bring your salt level down 200.

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
replaced water, all is good on the salt levels. But will the CYA levels be lower now? I have not checked yet, but thought by replacing the water, it will decrease the CYA in the pool.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Yes, replacing water will have lowered your CYA level. However, it doesn't sound like you replaced all that much water, so it is likely that CYA wasn't reduced by very much.