Houma, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So this spring I added salt, about 14 bags. I have 18x40x54 oval AGP. And yes without testing manually.
My Hayward SWG was reading 500 or so.

Went to Leslie's and bought the last salt strips. Came home and tested. 5200 on the strip. SWG was showing 1000. Since adding salt,

I have lost water due to a small leak, added more city water twice. Rain overflowed the pool a couple times. And did some backwashing after the rains to get water level down.
Got my TFT salt test kit and did a quick test, results are 4000. Plan to do another to make sure I was accurate on reading.
My SWG is still registering under 1000...close to 600.

So do I have a bad cell or a bad box? I have taken the cell off cleaned it and still nothing reading right.

I may try to convince my neighbor to try his cell. It is a T15 also. Only place to test cells is Leslie's.

Is there any way to test the panel?

Also, anyone have good experience with the off brand cells? Just had to buy now pump/motor assembly for Dolphin E10, so kinda needing to pinch a few pennies IF I need new cell or complete SWG system....

Also, anyone have good experience with the off brand cells? Just had to buy now pump/motor assembly for Dolphin E10, so kinda needing to pinch a few pennies IF I need new cell or complete SWG system....

Quality is all over the place and warranties are often sketchy. The market is constantly changing with different Chinese manufactured products. You pay your money and take your chances.

Reactions: cmiller73
Use the button and scroll through the diagnostic information on the panel and post it.

1. Pool temperature 76
2. Cell voltage 32.4
3. Cell current 0.00(numbers shoot up to 4.40ish then starts falling but then unit shuts off and this goes to 0.00)
4. Desired Output 60%
5. Instant salinity -0(upon turning on, instant salinity will go up to various readings then drop. I've see 2000 all the way down to 400 at startup)
6. Product name sent to the pool automation control display AL-2
7. Software revision level r1.59
8. Chlorinator cell type t-15

LED indicators
Power On - OK
Check Salt - ON
High Salt - OFF
Inspect Cell - ON

Last edited:
Look at the back of the board and check the K1 and K2 relay points for burnt or cold solder joints.

While in the box I checked that and everything looks good.

However, when I got to step E in the the check list and get 00.0 for Ohms on both blue/white and gray/violet wires. Guess I'll be looking for transformer..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect that the transformer is good.

Are you sure that you're testing it correctly?

Do you have a good meter?

How old is the cell?

The diagnostic test indicate anything other than 2.0-2.9 means the transformer is bad. I followed the directions of testing according to the link ajw22 shared. Kind of a no brainer. I think I have a good meter. It worked for all the other tests

SWG system is 7ish years old. Bought in April 2013. I did change the main board back in 2014.

Reactions: Jnet
The transformer almost never fails.

Furthermore, the voltage is fine.

In my opinion, the transformer is good.

Test something else to verify that the ohmmeter is actually working properly.

The cell is probably bad. You can have it tested at a pool store.

I may try to convince my neighbor to try his cell. It is a T15 also. Only place to test cells is Leslie's.
If your neighbor is game for that..it would be easy to do... For this service..we give you permission to go in to a Pool store ;)... I bet the cell has seen better days. Low salt readings are typical of a dying cell, that's what mine did. And if its 7 years old, then you got a good life from it. I figure anything after 5 years is free chlorine! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
If your neighbor is game for that..it would be easy to do... For this service..we give you permission to go in to a Pool store ;)... I bet the cell has seen better days. Low salt readings are typical of a dying cell, that's what mind did. And if its 7 years old, then you got a good life from it. I figure anything after 5 years is free chlorine! :mrgreen:

I guess they don't make good anything anymore......
That said I got a friend that does pool work. He is getting me a deal on a cell...$850 4 year warranty.......No I am not buying it.
Got a local Leslie's so I can run over there to make sure the cell is dead. If it is, then I'll more than likely go knock off brand......

Tested cell at Leslie's. It's done... ordered new Blue Works from Amazon. Figure if I get 3-5 years for $350 I'm doing good. Reviews on it seem good.

Made the swap. A few seconds and the SWG was up and running. Salt drop test and new cell match in salt numbers.
As of now the Blue Works from A-zon is doing good. Hope I can get a few years out of it.

Reactions: JamesW
OAN, Where do I properly dispose of dead cell? I was told the plates are titanium. Are they worth anything to someone that repairs them?

OAN, Where do I properly dispose of dead cell? I was told the plates are titanium. Are they worth anything to someone that repairs them?
If it were me I'd saw it open and see if I couldn't figure out the failure! :) But that is me. Likely it isn't worth it for someone to recover the titanium out of the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.