Too much salt

stikshooter

Sep 9, 2019
Floresville Tx
Ok, I have a new pool about 1 month old and am in the process of turning it into a salt water system. Ordered the Taylor K1766 and did a water sample and had 600ppm to begin.
According to the chart I needed 250 lb to get 3000 ppm in my 10,000 gal pool. I added 200 pounds yesterday and ran pool pump. I just checked (twice) and show that I have 5000 ppm.
Suggestions ????

If it is still high, you may be off on your gallons since the 250lbs would raise a 10k pool by 3,000 ppm.

The user manual for your SWG says that ideal salinity is 3,000 to 4,000 and that the unit will shut down and light up the "Hi Salt" indicator if your salt is too high (but it didnt give an actual salinity for too high).

Is your Hi Salt light on? If so, I would drain some and refill with fresh water until the light goes off.

You need to mix (homogenize) the water more. Saltwater is more dense than fresh water. When you add salt, the water at the bottom of the pool where the salt is dissolving will be higher salinity than the top unless you mix it thoroughly. Running pumps is not enough. It needs agitation from brushing or some kind of cleaner. Cold water is especially harder to homogenize than warmer water.

If it is still high, you may be off on your gallons since the 250lbs would raise a 10k pool by 3,000 ppm.

The user manual for your SWG says that ideal salinity is 3,000 to 4,000 and that the unit will shut down and light up the "Hi Salt" indicator if your salt is too high (but it didnt give an actual salinity for too high).

Is your Hi Salt light on? If so, I would drain some and refill with fresh water until the light goes off.
According to the pool dimensions and the spec sheet on the pool it’s at least 10000 gallons.
I don’t have the SWG installed yet, planning on doing that tomorrow. I just wanted to get the salt dissolved first. I under shot the adding of the salt by 50 lbs, so I wouldn’t over shoot the intended 3500 ppm.
I am running the robot andstubbed the sides. I will test again tomorrow.
thanks

According to the pool dimensions and the spec sheet on the pool it’s at least 10000 gallons.
I don’t have the SWG installed yet, planning on doing that tomorrow. I just wanted to get the salt dissolved first. I under shot the adding of the salt by 50 lbs, so I wouldn’t over shoot the intended 3500 ppm.
I am running the robot andstubbed the sides. I will test again tomorrow.
thanks
I'm with Joyfullnoise, you just need to ensure all the water is mixed fully.
The drop salt test itself is no better than +-200ppm (ie one drop) and if your not using a magnetic stirrer could be worse purely due to the manual agitation of the test sample.
run a few tests including one with water gather from just in front of a return... this would give a good indication of the salt level flowing through the pump/filter piping

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I played with poolmath a little bit for your pool. a 10,000 gallon pool starting off with 600 ppm would need 200 pounds of salt to raise it to 3000 ppm, as Im sure you figured already. Your signature says your pool is 12,000 gallons?

Reactions: carnivalday
A couple of things cross my mind. Not sure how you already reached 600 ppm salinity from a 1 month old pool which seems suspect to me. If it's testing error then that may be the source for the 5000 ppm your getting now as well. Cold water temps make dissolving the salt take more time. I've found that if the salt is all dissolved it is completely safe to run the robot and that will do a good job on mixing it in.
Magnetic strirrer:
Yes the magnetic strirrer makes a huge difference freeing the mind to spin the vial and makes the outcome more precise. I have also found that rather then shutting on and off the stirr between drops, it's easier to just hold the vial in one hand and the regent in the other hand lending itself to infinite comfortable positions while adding the drops and then return it to the magnetic strirrer base momentarily to stirr all while the power switch is on.

Yeah the math is not working out here somehow. If you had 600 and you raised it 3000 you should be in the 3600 range, and nowhere near 5000. So my guess is it still needs to mix as others have said. I'm curious where you are taking your sampling water from (top or bottom) and what the temp of your pool is. If you have a cold layer at the bottom of your pool, and you mixed all the salt in down there, you my just have a halocline that will take a while to homogenize.. So mix it top to bottom, not side to side.. and remember breathe in, breathe out... and you make could fight in the tourney.

No, the math is not working out. Yesterday I took one reading in shallow end and one reading in the deep end. Both were high. Scrubbed the pool, ran robot about four hours and ran pump on high.
Purchased a speedstir and it was delivered today. Took today’s reading out of the jet and ended up with exactly the same reading I got yesterday.18A914E1-A554-4F89-931A-A68BBA981B60.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.