Too much rain.

Mango567

Apr 1, 2019
Florida
I'm in SW Florida. We get a lot of rain this time of year. So I'm always adding salt. Then it overflows on the grass. Not good for the grass. I'm at the point that it needs salt again. Is it a bad idea to shut the SWG off and use pucks the rest of the rainy season. I'm added stabilizer all the time also. I think the only downfall I see ta and ph will drop so I need baking soda. Is this correct?

As long as you monitor your CYA level and follow the FC/CYA Levels you are fine. Sometimes it is tough to get the pucks to dissolve enough to get your FC each day, and with that the CYA goes up so you need more FC.

Do all salt people have problems killing their grass ? I use mineral springs which is mostly salt and the area i dump to has the best looking grass on my acre. I empty between 1/2 and 2/3 of my water every year due to rain.

As long as you monitor your CYA level and follow the FC/CYA Levels you are fine. Sometimes it is tough to get the pucks to dissolve enough to get your FC each day, and with that the CYA goes up so you need more FC.
Thank you. I keep liquid chlorine too. If I see any description the liquid is there to come to the rescue. Even the SWG doesn't keep up with the rain in the summer. I'm just not that diligent to only use liquid.

Do all salt people have problems killing their grass ? I use mineral springs which is mostly salt and the area i dump to has the best looking grass on my acre. I empty between 1/2 and 2/3 of my water every year due to rain.
I assume it's the type of grass you would have. Some like salt others not so much. We don't live close to the coast, so ours is not salt resistant.

As fellow Floridians we share the overflow threat as well. To avoid that we lower the water level before it's too late although we do have to adjust the chemistry routinely as a result. Even if you change to pucks there's no practical way to avoid that given the constant dilution.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.