Too much Chlorine?

Apr 17, 2017
Oberlin, La.
Hello! New to the pool biz! This is our first year with an above ground Intex 32 X 16 pool. My friend suggested that I use a floater with chlorine tabs AND chlorine granules. Do I really need to use both or this over kill? I do shock weekly as well. I hate the granules, they bleach my liner.

Could it be possible I would need to backwash more than once a week? I do have a heavy bather load, Lot's of neighborhood kids and my 4 kids daily, or is something wrong with my sand filter pump? The gauge reads in the yellow, my skimmer barely sucks and water barely pushes back into pool. After a back wash all seems well....but this is a couple of times a week....

LIQUID CHLORINE or grocery store bleach is all you need unless you are just starting with a fresh fill as you can bring up your CyA level with the powdered chlorine and pucks but then stop using them. You need a quality test kit first and foremost.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: True, we recommend regular (plain) bleach for those who manually chlorinate. It's cheap, easy, readily available at a decent price, and best of all adds virtually NO by-products - something pool store products can't say. Learn more by taking just a few minutes to review the TFP Pool School page and other vital links you see below in my signature. Most importantly, make sure YOU are testing the water with the "proper" test kit - either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything you do to the water is based on results from one of those kits. Nice to have you with us.

The amount of bleach (or any other chemical) required to adjust your levels is best determined by using the Poolmath calculator . This tool allows you to add your pool size, type, and current/projected goals. When you look on the FC row, make sure to click in the block next to "weight" and enter the current % of bleach you are using. Most regular household bleaches are 8.25, but check to make sure. Pour bleach "slowly" near the return jet(s) with the pump on high. Manually sweep around if you think it's needed to help with circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.