Too much air? Overlap liner

Jun 21, 2021
Iowa
I have a 15' metal above ground pool with overlap liner I just installed. I got one foot of water in. No wrinkles on bottom. Some slight wrinkles on the wall. Not perfect.

Anyway water delivery is coming. Brand new pool and liner.

Where the water is the liner is tight. But above water line the liner flexes in a little. About 1 to 2 inches.

Is that normal?

See photos. First one is the outside showing the gap.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_203832.jpg
    IMG_20210621_203832.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210621_203558.jpg
    IMG_20210621_203558.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 34
From tutorials I’ve watched they tend to want it tight cause you want it to stretch and snug in. It actually looks pretty good to me. I know that using a shop vacuum to suck it up against the wall is handy. They have videos on you tube. I don’t use overlap but I did do a terrible job putting up my new liner. It ended up off kilter and it had to stretch 6 inches in one curve. Maybe 8. So I’d be thrilled with two inches. I’m sure the pros on here will let you know one way or the other.

Reactions: Briandpeterson
Thanks hopefully an expert chimes in the next few hours... Otherwise the pool fill guy is coming (on well water). I have read and watched so much about overlap liners... I am probably over thinking it. But it's nice to hear from an expert you did it right :)

Reactions: Selenap
Hey thanks, I decided to just not worry about it (no shopvac while filling). They came and filled. Now there is almost no flex to the liner above the water!
Now I am struggling with leaks on pumps and other fun like that... Pro tip don't open the pump strainer top unless you have blocked water from the skimmer... My manual was very scant on details :rolleyes: ... I broke the gasket trying to close it while water was dumping out of my pool :eek: ... So I have a gasket on order, it only leaks a little.

The piping InTheSwim gave me are almost impossible to make them not leak. Doubling up on pipe clamps, etc.... Fun fun fun.

Thanks everyone!

Hey thanks, I decided to just not worry about it (no shopvac while filling). They came and filled. Now there is almost no flex to the liner above the water!
Now I am struggling with leaks on pumps and other fun like that... Pro tip don't open the pump strainer top unless you have blocked water from the skimmer... My manual was very scant on details :rolleyes: ... I broke the gasket trying to close it while water was dumping out of my pool :eek: ... So I have a gasket on order, it only leaks a little.

The piping InTheSwim gave me are almost impossible to make them not leak. Doubling up on pipe clamps, etc.... Fun fun fun.

Thanks everyone!
U can stick a ball or a winterizing plug in there but I suggest for long term you put a valve under the skimmer or before the pump (since the pump basket needs to be cleaned often)
For years i used a racquetball or a little foam football 😂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.