Tons of rain, odd test results

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So in SoCal we have been having a lot of rain. Tested pool today, FC is fine but I am getting low salt on my aqualink at 2200 ppm. Ph is 7.8, but the TA dropped to 40ppm. CH dropped to 425ppm from 600+ I assume from the rain. So my CSi is fine with TA @40 and ph @7.8 but is my TA too low? I was going to add some baking soda to raise it but thought I would check here first. My TA usually stays around 70-80ppm.

With low TA and high pH chances are the chemistry will adjust and balance itself.

The time to think about adjusting TA up is when pH is low - 7.0 or below.

The salt reading is likely low due to rainwater mixing with pool water on the surface and fooling the internal conductivity meter in the SWG. You really can’t rely on the SWGs internal “salinity” meter as it really isn’t measuring salt, but rather the conductivity of the water. You can be off by as much as 500ppm or more from the true salt level. Salinity is best measured using a K-1766 salt test kit. It measures actual chloride (Cl-) content and has no interferences so it is a very accurate measure of salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.