Toe cramps

Barbara C

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
Does anyone else have a problem with their toes or feet cramping when they've been in the pool for a little while? Maybe after 30 to 45 minutes, I start having problems. Sometimes I can get it to calm down but on occasion have had to get out of the pool to get my feet on solid ground. Anyone know what causes it???

When we started eating low carb, I mean really, really, low carb, I started getting horrible leg cramps; the kind that wake you with a startle, in the middle of the night. I had always had foot cramps if I stretched my foot a certain way. Anyway that is a known issue eating low carb, although not a real common one. I started taking magnesium and they cleared up, for the most part. Make sure you can take it.

I swam competitively most of my teen into adult years, and lived in pools, creeks, lakes, ponds, and rivers, all summer, from the time I could walk. I never understood how someone could drown from cramps. Well ............... these were so bad I realized how someone could drown from cramps.

gg=alice

Thanks to all who replied. I had hoped to here about some mysterious way the body reacted to the less gravity effect or maybe the cells taking on more water than they could hold! Plain old potassium imbalance is way too common. I guess I should eat my bananas! I seem to remember something about there being a relationship between calcium and potassium that if it was out of whack could give you cramps. Dehydration too. I don't think I'm dehydrated in the pool??
Thanks again.

I always get it on my foot and it can be a real nuisanc. 3 weeks ago I got one in my thigh while tryin g to manoeuver out of a floating chair.... that was the worst!!! it took me a good 2 or 3 minutes to make the pain subside. I then got it again that night in the other thigh while sleeping!!! man that is painful!!!

I can't imagine a cramp in your thigh! That really sounds like the worst!!!

Today wasn't any better. Good and hydrated. Had my banana this morning, milk and my flintstone vitamin. We're no where near low carb eaters. I'm afraid it's meat and taters around here most of the time. I even wear a magnet anklet most of the time but not in the pool because of a blood clot quite a few years ago. Maybe I'll leave it on now and see if it makes a difference! The anklet may be quack medicine but it seems to help. Probably all in my head

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Barbara C said:
I can't imagine a cramp in your thigh! That really sounds like the worst!!!

Today wasn't any better. Good and hydrated. Had my banana this morning, milk and my flintstone vitamin. We're no where near low carb eaters. I'm afraid it's meat and taters around here most of the time. I even wear a magnet anklet most of the time but not in the pool because of a blood clot quite a few years ago. Maybe I'll leave it on now and see if it makes a difference! The anklet may be quack medicine but it seems to help. Probably all in my head

Read this article. It seems that magnesium deficiency is more common than I realized. There are many more sources on line that discuss it.

I think I'm going to start taking it daily now that I've researched it some. I have a lot of the muscular/nerve symptoms, that vary. That's probably why I had such strong symptoms when we started low carb. We stayed on < 20 grams of carbohydrates for over a month. Now we pretty much stay under 100 per day (I don't count my wine :wink: :roll: ). Been doing this for years. The only sugar in the house is for the humming bird food but I do sneak in candy sometimes; chocholate especially.

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_o ... _human.htm

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
It seems that magnesium deficiency is more common than I realized. There are many more sources on line that discuss it.

I think I'm going to start taking it daily now that I've researched it some. I have a lot of the muscular/nerve symptoms, that vary.
Granny, here is an excellent supplement/source for magnesium. I've been taking it for a while now to help with night time leg cramps. Works well for me. But go easy starting out or you may end up spending more time in the loo than you might like... :)

Kias said:
Ditch the Flintstone vitamins! Those are so yesterday... Get the gummy bear vitamins!!
I'm afraid I'm a yesterday kind of gal. All of that new fangled stuff is too much for me!

I think it may have been dehydration after all. The last two days I haven't had any problems and I took a big cup of water out with me. :whoot: Other variables have changed too, like the vitamins, but the water seems to make the most sense.

Thanks to everyone with their suggestions. :party:

Beez said:
geekgranny said:
It seems that magnesium deficiency is more common than I realized. There are many more sources on line that discuss it.

I think I'm going to start taking it daily now that I've researched it some. I have a lot of the muscular/nerve symptoms, that vary.
Granny, here is an excellent supplement/source for magnesium. I've been taking it for a while now to help with night time leg cramps. Works well for me. But go easy starting out or you may end up spending more time in the loo than you might like... :)

Thanks, I'll check into the chelated. The one I take is Ultra-Mag 400 mg, five different mag-ates plus Vit B6. The tablets are huge!!!!

gg=alice

Wow! You just never know what kind of advice you'll find on this site!

Recently I have been having a cramp in the middle of the night that is on the side of my leg..about 4 inches above my ankle. :shock: Difficult place to stretch out a cramp! I usually just have to get out of bed and walk it out. My grandmother is the only other person I've ever heard of who has cramps/"charlie horses" in that area of the leg.

But I've never had one while in the pool. I was thinking it might be related to the walking or swimming though. I never imagined that it might be related to low-carb...which I am currently doing. I also take a magnesium supplement daily. Lord have mercy what I wouldn't give for a banana...but not on this diet! LOL! :-D

You folks are just a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the info!

Stacy

I get those cramps on the side of my leg at night every once in a while too. They are not my favorite that's for sure.

For some reason, the cramps in the pool have subsided. I didn't even have anything to drink with me today and didn't have any problems. I'm starting to wonder if it was because I was using muscles in different ways. I've adjusted now and it's all good.

Still get cramps in the night though. Maybe they will be the next to go :wave:

Barbara C said:
BTW Stacy, it looks as if a big welcome to TFP is in order :-D

Have you introduced yourself yet? It's a good place to get started.

No Barbara, I haven't. Just dipping a toe in the water...not yet jumped in! :-D

I'll do that though! I've been reading these boards quite some time...but just joined the other day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.