North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I opened my pool in mid-April. It was clear with some expected leaves and so forth on the floor. So little that they cleaned up in 20 minutes or so.
At opening:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 175
CYA: 40
Temp: 53F

ONCL test 2 days later: 0 loss

I didn't see any reason to do anything but add chlorine to bring up to spec and vacuum.

Since then, I've been using about 2-2.5ppm FC per day, which was normal for the middle of last summer, but higher than I expected given the still low sun angle and cool water.

The last couple of days the kids have been in the pool, along with the neighbor kids. I did an ONCL test earlier this week and got a drop of 1.

Yesterday, I lost 3ppm during the day, and ran another ONCL last night and got a 1.5 drop, no CCs measured.

I've measured CYA a half a dozen times and I'm pretty confident in the 40 number.

So does the high usage warrant a SLAM? I should note that my filter socks have been plugging twice daily with pollen, but can't find any good info on how much chlorine pollen will eat up. Robot has been running daily to clean up the pollen on the floor. Pool looks great, but I want to keep it that way.

PXL_20210519_145316455.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

First off, your water is crystal clear and you posted in the algae section so you may be over thinking it a bit. With no measurable CC's and perfect water, I do not see any reason to suspect a big problem. What are you targeting for your FC amount? With CYA of 40, you could bump up the FC to 7 or so if you want to be safe. Keep up what you are doing and TFP methodology is supposed to be easy maintenance (trouble free).

Reactions: Newdude
So does the high usage warrant a SLAM
So there are two trains of thought here.

1). Bather load might be the extra FC loss with no other failing criteria (and a stupid clear pool. Wowzers). Maintain a slightly elevated FC for a few days and see how it goes

2). SLaM for piece of mind. For a few bucks in bleach, it’s easy piece of mind and if it was in fact needed, it will be super quick and easy.

***proof yet AGAIN that frequent, reliable testing will give you plenty of warning to pay more attention before it’s a nightmare. Well done.

Reactions: Donldson
you posted in the algae section so you may be over thinking it a bit.
The title of this section is:

Screenshot_20210520-131456.png
I was focused more on the prevention aspect. But I take your point. If this had been a single data point, I wouldn't be so concerned. But I've generally been using more chlorine than I expected. This is my first full Spring on TFP after coming here about 1 year ago, so admittedly I don't have as much historical data as I would like.

I've been adding liquid chlorine to bring my FC back to 8 every night and losing 2-3 during the day (I tested by bleach my diluting 10,000:1, and also measured the gain after adding, so I'm confident in my chems). I haven't been below 5 since the day I took the cover off.

So there are two trains of thought here.
Yes, I thought of both. What would you target for just elevating?

How much chlorine should I expect to lose to pollen?
***proof yet AGAIN that frequent, reliable testing will give you plenty of warning to pay more attention before it’s a nightmare. Well done.
Yup. This is exactly what I said to my wife this morning.

Yes, I thought of both. What would you target for just elevating?
Your target is 5-7 and SLaM is at 16 for a 40 CYA. I’d split the difference around 10-12 personally.
How much chlorine should I expect to lose to pollen
If it’s fresh anything..... pollen, twigs, leaves, etc..... it shouldn’t affect anything. If it’s half decayed and full of organics/bacteria/etc then maybe a FC or 2. But it would mostly depend on the quantity and you’d have to be either overrun with pollen, Or have really decayed crud like the leaves that got into the pool all winter that you find when you open.

I lived on an acre with about 80 oak trees. I had a 5 gallon bucket full with pollen each day in the spring. Any storm or really windy day would bring as many leaves, but as long as they were green, or recently brown in the fall, I never saw any loss. YMMV of course. :)

You are doing all the right things by educating yourself, testing your water with true chemistry principles, and asking questions. Most people who are in their first year or two of pool ownership are coming to TFP saying "the pool store said my phosphates are too high and I need to buy an $80 packet of powder to reduce my CYA". I know I was one of those naive newbies my first 2 years.

Here's the update:

I took it up to SLAM level yesterday morning and held there all day.

ONCL test was 0, and there are no CCs, and the pool is clear, other than the the pollen (which is starting to subside, thankfully) . So I'm going to let FC come back down and commence standard operations.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Reactions: Newdude
It’s soooooooooooooooooo much easier to be proactive and not reactive. Or even worse.... panic and do something rash like go to the pool store and dump $100s in harmful/overpriced chems.

Great job having and keeping the leg up in the fight !!

Reactions: MITBeta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.