To slam or not to slam?

Forgive me...I neglected my pool.
Leaves built up and stayed in for a while (kids broke the leaf rake!) and I wasn't checking my FC. I didn't winterize.

OK...I am cleaning it up and it has eaten some chlorine. Leaves are out, I am brushing, vacuuming, backwashing and testing. Water is fairly clear until I brush up the dirt. CL dropped twice after adding bleach. I can see that the dirt is turning gray/white as opposed to brown/green.

Salt 2600, FC 5.5, CC 0, PH 7.5, CYA 70, Temp is around 70F. I use Borates.

I am going to test again this evening. At what point do I know I should SLAM? Does it ever just stabilize after a few cycles of adding bleach like I am now? I added 256oz of Aldi bleach yesterday.

THANKS
I promise I'll do better next winter :)

I think you already answered your own question ... SLAM! Follow the instructions on the SLAM page (link below) and don't let-up until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria to pass. Reminders:
- Lower pH to 7.2 first
- Based on your CYA (70), increase FC to SLAM/shock level of "28". Keep it there until you pass.

Good luck!

dbtgallery.php

Pat, I dont know if that's a new meme or not, but I give it the HANDS DOWN best meme ever on TFP.

:laughblue: X 100.

No worries Johnmark, you're on the right trail, and you've got me laughing too. Sorry about your pool, but love your sense of humor. :goodjob:

Forgive me...I neglected my pool.
Leaves built up and stayed in for a while (kids broke the leaf rake!) and I wasn't checking my FC. I didn't winterize.

OK...I am cleaning it up and it has eaten some chlorine. Leaves are out, I am brushing, vacuuming, backwashing and testing. Water is fairly clear until I brush up the dirt. CL dropped twice after adding bleach. I can see that the dirt is turning gray/white as opposed to brown/green.

Salt 2600, FC 5.5, CC 0, PH 7.5, CYA 70, Temp is around 70F. I use Borates.

I am going to test again this evening. At what point do I know I should SLAM? Does it ever just stabilize after a few cycles of adding bleach like I am now? I added 256oz of Aldi bleach yesterday.

THANKS
I promise I'll do better next winter :)
The line I highlighted above in your post is your first clue. "Dirt" doesn't really bleach out, but algae will lose it's color when it dies. What you are seeing is dead algae.

Whenever the water looks "off", cloudy, or just "not right" as well as if your FC goes to 0 or a noticable increase in your daily chlorine demand is a sign that you should SLAM. If that is still uncertain for you, perform the OCLT and if it fails it is definitely time to SLAM.

Dom's observation is spot on the money. That's dead algae.

I have a couple of observations.. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You don't yet have a good idea of the SLAM process, either so also please read the SLAM article in Pool School.

Without pretty careful testing and dosing, your SLAM will be a failure.

Thanks!

I do understand the process. I had doubts because I was quickly seeing the water improve with just getting the FC up to normal and I had zero CC. I turned off my SWG and if I don't go ahead and SLAM today, I'll do the OCLT tonight. We are getting a lot of rain today and tomorrow though so I'll likely just go ahead and SLAM.

Aldi here I come...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.