To salt or not to salt?

FLshine84

Mar 31, 2021
Oviedo, Fl
I’m a rather new pool owner and can really use some help. I’m thinking about switching to SWG. I’ve read that the only real downside to salt is the initial setup cost. I have an uncovered pool in an area with a lot of trees. I get tons of tree debris and pollen throughout the year. In my situation will the lower chlorine levels in a salt pool make it more difficult to keep the pool clean and free of algae or would salt excel in my situation as well?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, the initial cost is really the main downside. Once past that, the SWG "should" (if maintained properly) last long enough to equal or perhaps exceed expected chlorine costs over 5 or so years. As for the FC level, the lower FC level will do just fine when balanced with a higher CYA as noted for salt pools on the FC/CYA Levels. This is because the FC is constantly sanitizing water as opposed to the once per day jumping of chlorine. SWGs have really become popular, especially with the recent chlorine demand due to COVID.

Reactions: Liz315
Howdy 'Shine! Welcome to the forum..

Yes an SWG will do fine. In fact it will probably work better for you since Cl is produced at slow and constant rate as long as the pumps are running. So it does a better job at dealing with the FC demand that leaves and other organics create. My pool is surrounded by big trees and something is always dropping tree snot into it on any given day, and my SWG keeps up just fine.

Welcome to TFP :)

If my SWG died today I would have another one ordered tonight... They are great... Grab one that is 2 to 3 times the size of your pool.. the bigger they are the less time you have to run your pump to make chlorine..

all these are on sale :)

Hey Shine and Welcome !!!

If you really want to know if people swear by the SWG, go on and try to take somebody’s away.

Pro tip: Go prepared to fight dirty. They will not give it up easily. :)

On the $80k builds it’s a no brainer and a mere drop in the proverbial bucket, but tons of folks have been putting them on their Above Ground pools too, in some cases spending as much on the system as they did on the pool in the first place.

But everybody’s finances are different and so are their other expenses so even though it will greatly improve your pool experience, the buy in may not be worth the benefits to them (you).

Hello All! :wave: Thanks for much needed support. Seems Like SWG is the only way to go. Getting one that is rated for much larger of a pool sounds like a good idea. Are there any recommended brand or brands to stay away from? My pool tech is thinking about Hayward.

Hayward t15 cell is a good one and many like them.. I love Circupool, my SJ45 system has lasted 7 years on 1 cell and I just changed it out... the SJ is there basic and gen 1 model, the RJ is the 2nd gen and works great, the 3rd gen and 4th gen are the newest and have the longest 7 and 8 year warranties...

What size pool do you have?

The SJ 45 is hard to beat for price CircuPool SJ-45 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

The RJ60 is a beast, at 3.1 pounds of chlorine a day it will handle just about any pool :) CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

Here is a comparison chart Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features | DSP

Reactions: arielpool
Hayward t15 cell is a good one and many like them.. I love Circupool, my SJ45 system has lasted 7 years on 1 cell and I just changed it out... the SJ is there basic and gen 1 model, the RJ is the 2nd gen and works great, the 3rd gen and 4th gen are the newest and have the longest 7 and 8 year warranties...

What size pool do you have?

The SJ 45 is hard to beat for price CircuPool SJ-45 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

The RJ60 is a beast, at 3.1 pounds of chlorine a day it will handle just about any pool :) CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

Here is a comparison chart Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features | DSP

Thanks again for the insight. My pool was estimated to be 15k gallons

I have mine automated to turn on and off but that is it.. as far as I know there is not a way to change settings.. It only takes a second as it is :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m a rather new pool owner and can really use some help. I’m thinking about switching to SWG. I’ve read that the only real downside to salt is the initial setup cost. I have an uncovered pool in an area with a lot of trees. I get tons of tree debris and pollen throughout the year. In my situation will the lower chlorine levels in a salt pool make it more difficult to keep the pool clean and free of algae or would salt excel in my situation as well?
As a relatively new pool owner of 5 years, I have decided to switch to SWG and wish I had done so sooner. In my particular case, even if the total annualized cost of a SWG was higher than the cost of liquid bleach I have been using for manual chlorination, the stability and convenience of having automated chlorine generation outweighs the lower upfront cost of using liquid bleach. Time is valuable and the task of having to source and transport bleach, concerns over freshness, and the occasional price gouging also increase the annual costs of traditional chlorination, not that the approach can't be maintained both functionally and economically. I'll still perform daily water tests after the switch to keep everything well balanced and also satisfy my needs to track and trend data.

I live in the Northeast and have high amounts of pollen and nearby trees contributing debris, but nearby SWG pool owners have had great success with their pools. Your being in sunny Florida probably creates more of a challenge with regards to warmer average temps and depending on your pool's sun exposure. The only reason I haven't switched sooner is that I wanted to rework my pool pad to be more efficient and replace my very old single speed pump with a variable speed.

I'll be following your journey with interest as I collect more input from the community for my own SWG upgrade.

What a great first post, welcome to TFP :)

Great job on your Signature (y)

As a relatively new pool owner of 5 years, I have decided to switch to SWG and wish I had done so sooner. In my particular case, even if the total annualized cost of a SWG was higher than the cost of liquid bleach I have been using for manual chlorination, the stability and convenience of having automated chlorine generation outweighs the lower upfront cost of using liquid bleach. Time is valuable and the task of having to source and transport bleach, concerns over freshness, and the occasional price gouging also increase the annual costs of traditional chlorination, not that the approach can't be maintained both functionally and economically. I'll still perform daily water tests after the switch to keep everything well balanced and also satisfy my needs to track and trend data.

I live in the Northeast and have high amounts of pollen and nearby trees contributing debris, but nearby SWG pool owners have had great success with their pools. Your being in sunny Florida probably creates more of a challenge with regards to warmer average temps and depending on your pool's sun exposure. The only reason I haven't switched sooner is that I wanted to rework my pool pad to be more efficient and replace my very old single speed pump with a variable speed.

I'll be following your journey with interest as I collect more input from the community for my own SWG upgrade.

If you go SWG and borates, the borates will be an additional sanitizer on top of your chlorine.
Borates are NOT a sanitizer. The presence of borates in the water limits pH fluctuations, offers a subjective change in water feel, and makes it slightly more difficult for algae to propagate though that's very limited at levels found in a pool. It does not sanitize in any way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.