To Polyquat or not Polyquat before/during closing?

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi folks:

Closing my pool today for the first time (with the help of the pool store..GASP :) )

Anyway, thanks to folks here I've got my pool in pretty good shape. PH, TA, CH are all where they should be. I slammed the pool Friday night up to FC=28 (my CYA is 70 with a SWG in a gunite pool).

As of Monday AM, my FC has dropped to 21. Not bad considering it has been more than 2 days.

I have Polyquat 60 which I'd like to add. But I've read it can also eat the FC in the pool. Should I be concerned?

Should I just leave the water as is, or do you think I should add Polyquat? And if so, won't it cause my FC to drop??

Note I've had my SWG turned off since starting the SLAM Friday evening.

I have Polyquat 60 which I'd like to add. But I've read it can also eat the FC in the pool. Should I be concerned?

If your levels are this high, I would not add the algaecide. It will take at least 7-10 days before your levels drop down to under 10, especially with this weather. You can add the PolyQuat in a month from now, but will have to circulate the water with a separate pump. If you are closing, then store the algaecide until next year and get ready for the snow.

Thanks. Yes closing has to happen today as it is the only day the pool store is available to assist. (I want them to take ownership of blowing out the lines, etc.)

Ok, I'll hold off adding Polyquat.

Yes, I'm very surprised my FC is taking it's sweet time to drift down. Weather has been cloudy, so that is likely why.

Ya what's the temp of the pool water?

When mine reaches 60 degrees, I take the daily pump run time down from 2 hours to
1 hour. By that time it burns through much less chlorine, so bleach addition is WAY less.

When it get's down to 50 I stop adding bleach and shut the pump down for the winter
until early march.

I never have to use Polyquat doing it this way. Algae would have a very difficult
time growing/starting at water temp of 60 and pretty much impossible at 50 or less.

Reactions: JessB412
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.