To maintain your pool yourself - or hire out - thats the question

I fired my once a week pool service 6 years ago and never looked back. TFP is the way to go. However If I was having a new pool built, I'd still use the contractor's recommended service for the first 3 months or so. If anything goes wrong with any part of your new pool the builder will likely blame you.

I fired my once a week pool service 6 years ago and never looked back. TFP is the way to go. However If I was having a new pool built, I'd still use the contractor's recommended service for the first 3 months or so. If anything goes wrong with any part of your new pool the builder will likely blame you.
Oooo I didn’t think of that. I wonder if I can do it for a few months. I’ll have to ask since he said I couldn’t just hire him for the season...

I wonder if I can do it for a few months

I’ll have to ask since he said I couldn’t just hire him for the season...
No no no no !!! You've changed your mind and will need him full time. Yes Ma'am. The second the recommended service period expires, you *wink wink* reconsider and go solo.

We have walked many people through contractor startup/beginnings. Start practicing now how you have 'no idea' why the water is balanced when he first gets there.........Surely one of his crew must have come the day before.

Hi all, I'm new here and have never owned a pool. I have posted a few other threads and folks here are SO helpful. Our contractor is really trying to push using one of their folks for maintenance, but its not super cheap its $140 a month for a once a week visit. Its do-able $$ wise but I'm like ehh. I wanted to see if they were willing to do that for the swim season from like May-Sept (I'm in Vegas) but they will not, its all or nothing. I have never had a pool and we have pebblesheen so the contractor is like you REALLY need to be mindful of the chemicals, pH, etc. The pool is 14X27 and its just my husband and I, no children. We have a cartridge filter and salt water system too, if that helps to know. Any input on this? Do you have a person who does it, or do you maintain yourself? Does it take up a lot of time? I know time is money!
My PB came by today and he keeps trying to sell me on his $140 a month pool guy, saying it’s complicated and the chemicals alone will be $150 a month and if I mess up the chemistry, the warranty’s are all shot. I have my TF100 kit and the support of you guys but being a complete newbie with pools hes starting to psych me out. Ugh.

Stick it out with us. You're in good hands. Ask him for a copy of warranty and post chemistry requirements here. Let's see if we can keep you within TFP recommendations and in compliance with the warranty.

Ignore him. I had no idea what I was doing either. I had my TF-100 and this website, and knew from reading the ABC's what I needed chemicals wise. Once my PB turned it over, I took a sample of water, ran the complete battery of tests, and posted my results. The collective brain trust then jumped in with what to do and if I had any questions, I asked. In about a month, I had everything down. With the PoolMath app, it is as easy as inputting your test results, and it will tell you what you need to add. If you don't understand why you are adding it or what it will do, that's when you post a question.

I spent about $450 total last year on chemicals, and I include all test supplies in my chemical costs as well. And I tend to test a lot more than I actually need to. I know I can let it go longer between tests, but I like to do it.

--Jeff

My PB came by today and he keeps trying to sell me on his $140 a month pool guy,
I agree with the others.. with a SWG I spend about $150 a year on chemicals, and that's if I mess up.. Now if you really want to torture him over his offer a little.. lets see: He would need to come and check on your pool daily, scoop out the leaves daily, do a basic drop test (no strips) and log into a spreadsheet for reference, daily, and follow TFP chemical guidelines.. And And.. I'm still trying to come up with 140 bux/mo worth of stuff to.. OH YEAH mow your lawn and clean your gutters and wash your car and bring you a specialty coffee drink every day. .... Then I might consider it. Heck if you have any questions someone is hanging around this place 24 hrs a day.. will your PB-guy respond to questions 24 hrs a day? I thought not!

My PB came by today and he keeps trying to sell me on his $140 a month pool guy, saying it’s complicated and the chemicals alone will be $150 a month and if I mess up the chemistry, the warranty’s are all shot. I have my TF100 kit and the support of you guys but being a complete newbie with pools hes starting to psych me out. Ugh.
I don't like the "hard sell" approach he is using. If he builds a quality pool you shouldn't need to worry as long as the chemicals are balanced, no matter who is adding them.

Reactions: Durangler

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ask your PB what test kit he will use. Also ask him for a copy of his FC/CYA chart, and what levels he recomnends for pH, TA, and CH. Then post his answers here.

$140/month AND you have a SWG? So he's gonna pour some acid in, scoop some leaves and go. And if you get a few windy days after his service day you'll need to do the same thing.

Ask your PB what test kit he will use. Also ask him for a copy of his FC/CYA chart, and what levels he recomnends for pH, TA, and CH. Then post his answers here.

$140/month AND you have a SWG? So he's gonna pour some acid in, scoop some leaves and go. And if you get a few windy days after his service day you'll need to do the same thing.

$140 a month is a bargain. By me (Long Island , NY) average cost is around $65-$90 a week plus the cost of chemicals . But our pool season is short, with that said once my pool is in and handed over to me i am not letting anyone touch my pool. No one is going to take care of your pool like you would.

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
Joining late but following this thread. I debated doing that same thing 2 years ago adb if it was $140 a month and they came out every week maybe but a pool thrives with small changes :)
I bought a SWG and a robot and like otehrs have said it made pool maint boring..
I see it like this, hiriong a once a month pool service is like only cleaning your house once a month..Think trash cans counters etc :)

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
I agree with the others.. with a SWG I spend about $150 a year on chemicals, and that's if I mess up.. Now if you really want to torture him over his offer a little.. lets see: He would need to come and check on your pool daily, scoop out the leaves daily, do a basic drop test (no strips) and log into a spreadsheet for reference, daily, and follow TFP chemical guidelines.. And And.. I'm still trying to come up with 140 bux/mo worth of stuff to.. OH YEAH mow your lawn and clean your gutters and wash your car and bring you a specialty coffee drink every day. .... Then I might consider it. Heck if you have any questions someone is hanging around this place 24 hrs a day.. will your PB-guy respond to questions 24 hrs a day? I thought not!
Hahaha thank you I needed that laugh. Honestly if he would do the dishes too I probably would employ him! But no, once a week service...maybe I’m in the wrong business lol

$140 a month is a bargain. By me (Long Island , NY) average cost is around $65-$90 a week plus the cost of chemicals . But our pool season is short, with that said once my pool is in and handed over to me i am not letting anyone touch my pool. No one is going to take care of your pool like you would.
That’s what I tried to tell him, I’m very anal and very much a control freak I’m sure he’s seen that through this entire build process lol I don’t know how he hasn’t I ask him questions all the time !

I’ll ask him for those documents. I need to get my butt in gear and go purchase my chemicals soon maybe do a couple practice tests!

Reactions: Durangler
I don't like the "hard sell" approach he is using. If he builds a quality pool you shouldn't need to worry as long as the chemicals are balanced, no matter who is adding them.
I agree I hate being hard sold on anything. I guess his whole thing he kept saying is “your pool and especially whatever interior we choose will last a lifetime IF you keep your levels in check that’s why it’s so important” which I obviously understand. But if that’s important why do all pool guys only come by one a week 🤔

Joining late but following this thread. I debated doing that same thing 2 years ago adb if it was $140 a month and they came out every week maybe but a pool thrives with small changes :)
I bought a SWG and a robot and like otehrs have said it made pool maint boring..
I see it like this, hiriong a once a month pool service is like only cleaning your house once a month..Think trash cans counters etc :)
That’s a really good way to put it. Thank you. He rattled me a bit! It’s just such an expensive project you know? If it was my fault something went wrong? Ugh that would just be the worst

I really can't stand people who sell using fear tactics. We all found TFP for various reasons and have learned just how simple and fun, yep, FUN it is to take care of your pool! There's nothing better than knowing exactly what is in your water because you are the one putting it there. You've found how kind and knowledgeable the members of this forum are already. Anytime you’re unsure of how or what you’re doing....just ask!

I learned too and yes, it took a bit of practice but the "aha moments" are so worth it. Especially when you think about how much money you'd be paying for a pool service. We've got your back for $0.00!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.